• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop signs for Bicycles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pkondilas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I too like a previous post got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I was in a bike path. The stop sign was a three way (T) stop. I was at the top of the T going straight. The stop sign was to allow cars from the bottom of the T to join the traffic at the top of the T. My question is Do I need to stop if I am in a bike lane and the bike lane never ends? In a four way stop the bike lane ends. First the solid line becomes dashes and then the line ends. The line starts up back on the other side of the intersection. Since the bike lane did not end I thought the stop sign did not apply. Because I was at the top of the T, there was no chance of a car hitting me if I did not stop unless they hit the sidewalk on to the right of me. The way the intersection was set up, I or another car were never at risk in any situation of hitting each other. Are there any specifics about bike lane out there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I too like a previous post got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I was in a bike path. The stop sign was a three way (T) stop. I was at the top of the T going straight. The stop sign was to allow cars from the bottom of the T to join the traffic at the top of the T. My question is Do I need to stop if I am in a bike lane and the bike lane never ends? In a four way stop the bike lane ends. First the solid line becomes dashes and then the line ends. The line starts up back on the other side of the intersection. Since the bike lane did not end I thought the stop sign did not apply. Because I was at the top of the T, there was no chance of a car hitting me if I did not stop unless they hit the sidewalk on to the right of me. The way the intersection was set up, I or another car were never at risk in any situation of hitting each other. Are there any specifics about bike lane out there?
Yes, you have to stop at the stop sign.

xylene

My question is Do I need to stop if I am in a bike lane and the bike lane never ends?
Stop signs and traffic control devices apply to bike lanes.

I am not sure why you believe their is a legal basis for disregarding the stop sign from the configuration of the intersection.

Antigone*

Stop signs and traffic control devices apply to bike lanes.

I am not sure why you believe their is a legal basis for disregarding the stop sign from the configuration of the intersection.
The OP's argument is that the bike lane line is not a broken line. I don't seen what one has to do with the other, but that's the argument.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">