• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping a car by going in front

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adyb1975

CALIFORNIA

I got stopped by an over-acheever CHP officer by going in the front of my car and pointing his finger over the car towards the right. Is this legal in California? Many people told me that the police can not go in the front to pull someone over. It all has to be done from behind. Reason of pulling me over was speeding on a highway. Reason to go in front of me, to stop the car in the front as well.

Thank you,
Adrian

You Are Guilty

CALIFORNIA

I got stopped by an over-acheever CHP officer by going in the front of my car and pointing his finger over the car towards the right. Is this legal in California? Many people told me that the police can not go in the front to pull someone over. It all has to be done from behind. Reason of pulling me over was speeding on a highway. Reason to go in front of me, to stop the car in the front as well.

Thank you,
Adrian
Yep, that's totally, 100% accurate. Not only is it dangerous to the officer, it's dangerous to the well-being of the driver - who wants drivers freaking out thinking they might be about to run over a police officer!!

You didn't mention it, but they also have to have their lights on and be wearing the correct hat (highway, city, motorcycle, etc) when they issue the ticket.

Good luck, junior!

racer72

Tell your "many people" they are wrong. The officer can be behind you, in front of you, beside you, even standing along side the road.

adyb1975

Does anyone have a reference website or material where I can look at CHP procedures? I would like to know what their rules are.

Thank you

CdwJava

CALIFORNIA

Thank you,
Adrian
While it's not smart to pull in front there is no law preventing law enforcement in CA from doing this. The people that told you it HAS to be done from behind are wrong.

You can check with the CHP regarding their policy, but understand that a violation of policy does not absolve you of the offense for which you were cited. All that violation does is get the officer investigated by his department as to why he performed an act that has the potential of being unsafe for him and for others. But, I can think of a number of reasons why he did this. One of those reasons being to stop two cars at once.

Oh, I am a California police administrator and training manager.

- Carl

FlyingRon

I've seem Maryland State Police troopers make a stop by standing in the middle of the lane on I-95 and holding their hand out in the "You wouldn't dare not stop" stance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">