• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping for school bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

access

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

Please forgive the crude text drawing. I'd rather have drawn it in mspaint but I can't attach an image to the post.

I received a ticket for not stopping for a school bus and honestly believe that I shouldn't have. It was at a three way intersection with a traffic light. I was heading north and turned east at the intersection. The schoolbus was heading south, but stopped short of the intersection. I wasn't supposed to stop since I wasn't passing the school bus, right? The only way I could see that I was supposed to stop is if the law states some distance from the school bus that you are supposed to stop, but if the law just says that you aren't supposed to pass the bus, then I don't see how I could possibly have broken the law. Clearly the kids getting off were not even close to being in the way of my car.

The exclamation point is the bus; the ^ is where I turned right:

.|
.|
!|
.|________
.|^
.|
.|

racer72

If the school bus was within 200 feet of the intersection, you should have stopped and waited till the flashing lights stopped. How far was the bus from the intersection?

access

Thanks for replying. I'll have to revisit the intersection to see. Can you find what law says the 200 feet part? I'm getting conflicting input on that part and I have yet to see it in writing once and for all.

access

I really don't know where to find the exact law on this. Google helps, but I can't be sure there isn't a law that I haven't seen which I could have broken. Help?

sukharev

look at the ticket

access said:
I really don't know where to find the exact law on this. Google helps, but I can't be sure there isn't a law that I haven't seen which I could have broken. Help?
exact statute should be on the ticket under "violation" or similar field

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">