• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopwatch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sviperdrvr

Arizona--What can you tell me about the use of the stopwatch for determining the speed of a vehicle, along with questioning the officer's integrity of the use of the stop watch and the officer's position to the reference points for the start/stop when using the stop watch?

J

jimmyv

bring him to court and have your lawyer test his math skills..lol.. or you can do it yourself.. ask him if a jelly donut left chicago at 9pm to go to new york to meet a creme filled donut coming from boston and also leaving at 9 . the jelly donut traveling at 100 miles per hour and the cream donut traveling at 15 miles per hour who would get to new york first..lol

S

sviperdrvr

so, by you joking, i'm taking there's not much i can do with out a lawyer?

racer72

Ever seen the thick white lines painted on the side of the highway? Those are set a a certain distance apart depending on the speed limit of the road. And an easy to see landmark reflectors are placed in the road so the officer can see them. For an example, if the speed limit is 60 mph, the lines will be 88 feet apart. At 60 mph, a car will travel that distance in exactly 1 second. Go that distance in .9 seconds, you travelled that distance 10 percent quicker than you should have therefore you are travelling 10 percent faster than the speed limit, 66 mph. Most police officer have a college education and the math to figure this type of stuff is rather simple. They even have neat little charts that a moron like jimmyv could even figure out. Let me rephrase that for jimmy, da cops gots a piece of paper with number on it to figger out how fast the cars are going down the rode.

S

sviperdrvr

well, i'm not questioning the use of the stopwatch and i know how it's used. In this case they have two orange markers on the side of the road and they use their start stop from that. What i want to know is, has anyone ever been able to win a case like that on debating against the cop. i know a stopwatch is accurate, but you can't calibrate a finger. therfore the officer's integrity is in question. i could argue, maybe he has something against motorcycles or something. I'v actually got him on video only timing motorcycles and not cars or trucks and that's profiling. That's against the law.

J

jimmyv

ok

well racer72 most cops don't have a degree!! actually on 37% of police officers have a degree, and they are usually detectives or higher in rank.. as for those white lines on the highway those aren't for calculations for the police you dummy. - a donut for racer72 there!!! if those are for calculating then how does it work on a street with a solid line? bring it to court you won't need a lawyer!! i guarantee his calculations are way off.. and he has no proof you were speeding without radar. a judge won't go by his or her calculations

S

sviperdrvr

well i know with this judge, she hates motorcycles and the cops have been busting people with the stop watch for a long time. a friend who was there with me and he got a ticket as well, went to court already and he said the cop had a 2 page report as to how accurate the stopwatch is. So i don't think i can agrue about the use of the stopwatch. unless i try to argue, if it didn't have fresh batteries, that would cause it to count slower, thuis making it seem i was speeding, or how do i not know he didn't start it when i was half way through the markers.

J

jimmyv

all good ideas.. please do not listen to racer72 as he is a cop who apparently thinks cops don't lie and don't break the law ever.. he polices a world where it's ok for a cop to do something but not a taxpayer.. besides the fact that when someone beats a ticket 10 others will beat it too.. this makes it hard for racer72 to get promoted and or to get overtime pay

J

justathought

Jimmy--not the white lines going with traffic... the ones perpendicular to the road on state maintained highways. I'd translate that into child-ese, but I'm afraid I'm not fluent.

J

jimmyv

yeah right.. another wise ass cop.. big tough guy on the internet..lol.. i have a law degree you stupid ****... we don't have that in connecticut , our lines are there only for the protection of the motorists.

P

plifter

How much over the speed limit did the officer claim you were traveling? If it wasn't much then if the officer clicked his stop watch .1 second too late when he began timing you and stopped the watch .1 second before you completed the distance there could be a huge difference in the calculation of your speed. I personally don't think it's possible to accurately determine speed with a stop watch. Sure the math is easy but starting and stopping the watch accurately is not possible.

Rochelle

jimmy jimmy jimmy, you said you'd stop responding and here you are. Still as ignorant as ever. You probably think pacing is not acceptable either.

J

jimmyv

it's almost impossible for a police officer to use that method.. it 's an out of date procedure and not reliable. i bet he was off by at least 2 seconds or more.. fight it. if he brings his book on accuracy then question his reaction time. the stop watch is as reliable as the person using it. i'd test him on that. ask him if he started the stopwatch as you hit the line or just after. of course he's gonna lie but if you catch him in a lie then he just perjured himself.. so make sure you ask him the same questions 2 or 3 times.

ellencee

jimmyv
start collecting all those gold medals, horse-racing trophies, highschool and college track meet awards and all other event wins that were measured by a stopwatch--I'm sure everyone one who used a stopwatch was prejudiced and just out to screw someone, probably you--everywhere I go, people are talking about how they are going to get something on you and everyone like you--there's even been a run on stopwatches, none left, shelves are empty. I also heard they're after plifter but they're mixing the names up so you and he won't catch on--it's a national conspiracy being conducted by the police; I'm in on it because I'm in the CIA, but don't tell anyone.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">