• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopwatch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Locodky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

OK I got a ticket the other day for doing 45 in a 25. Now I am positive I was not going that fast but I was definitely over the speed limit. My one issue was should I fight it for the use of a stopwatch or should I just try to get them to reduce it to a 3111a citation? I don't really care about the money I just don't want the points on my license. Do I just plead not guilty and ask them in court to reduce it? I have no experience when it comes to this, this is my first ticket in 5 years. I have no idea how to go about this please help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

OK I got a ticket the other day for doing 45 in a 25. Now I am positive I was not going that fast but I was definitely over the speed limit. My one issue was should I fight it for the use of a stopwatch or should I just try to get them to reduce it to a 3111a citation? I don't really care about the money I just don't want the points on my license. Do I just plead not guilty and ask them in court to reduce it? I have no experience when it comes to this, this is my first ticket in 5 years. I have no idea how to go about this please help!
If you were positive that you weren't going that fast, then how fast were you going? Don't answer, I don't need to know. Just remember that, if the answer is "I'm not sure", then you have no way of being "positive" that you weren't going that fast.

Locodky

If you were positive that you weren't going that fast, then how fast were you going? Don't answer, I don't need to know. Just remember that, if the answer is "I'm not sure", then you have no way of being "positive" that you weren't going that fast.
Well here's the thing when he got me in the speed trap, less than half way down the block was my sharp right turn I had to make. Which for this turn you must come to a complete stop. Now if I was going what he claimed EXACTLY 20 over the speed limit (45mph) I wouldn't have had time to stop completely, I would have crashed into the car that was turning left. Last time I looked at my speedometer I was going 35. Never the less it took him about 4 blocks to finally pull me over after the turn. My other question was would it be possible to ask for it to get reduced seeing how it was my first offense in 5 years?

FlyingRon

Well here's the thing when he got me in the speed trap, less than half way down the block was my sharp right turn I had to make. Which for this turn you must come to a complete stop. Now if I was going what he claimed EXACTLY 20 over the speed limit (45mph) I wouldn't have had time to stop completely, I would have crashed into the car that was turning left. Last time I looked at my speedometer I was going 35. Never the less it took him about 4 blocks to finally pull me over after the turn. My other question was would it be possible to ask for it to get reduced seeing how it was my first offense in 5 years?
That argument isn't persuasive. Even a quarter of a mile is enough time to come to a dead stop form 45. Further, nothing says that you were intending to actually slow down for the corner.

By your own admission you were speeding at one point but you have no idea of your speed at the time the observation was made.
Exactly 20 over means squat. Exactly 16 over might be an arguable speed as that is the boundry between the penalties.

You're free to go to court, you've got nothing to lose but your time but the nothing you've said compells the court to reduce your charge. They might at their discretion

Zigner

And 5 years without a citation isn't really that big of a deal. I've gone 28 years without one...

Locodky

That argument isn't persuasive. Even a quarter of a mile is enough time to come to a dead stop form 45. Further, nothing says that you were intending to actually slow down for the corner.

By your own admission you were speeding at one point but you have no idea of your speed at the time the observation was made.
Exactly 20 over means squat. Exactly 16 over might be an arguable speed as that is the boundry between the penalties.

You're free to go to court, you've got nothing to lose but your time but the nothing you've said compells the court to reduce your charge. They might at their discretion
Ok, now the speed trap was only 95 ft how accurate would his reaction time have to be to give an accurate time?

Locodky

Is it your intention to change the facts around until your story works?
And who said I was changing facts. From what I found in my research they say anything under 200 ft leaves margin for error. Which is why I'm asking not stating

Locodky

Now my argument is not the fact of speeding it is the fact of he has me going exactly 20 over which conviently bumps my ticket up along with points to my license. I'm not fighting that I was speeding I'm trying to fight the 20 over.

Zigner

Now my argument is not the fact of speeding it is the fact of he has me going exactly 20 over which conviently bumps my ticket up along with points to my license. I'm not fighting that I was speeding I'm trying to fight the 20 over.
You have no evidence...it really is that simple.

Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
he has me going exactly 20 over which conviently [SIC] bumps my ticket up...

Conveniently? Huh?

I've gotten many, maybe even hundreds, of people traveling at exactly 20 over the speed limit by a variety of means - radar, lidar, pacing, estimation.

You make it sounds as if it's impossible, or at least unlikely, that someone would be speeding to the tune of exactly 20 over - hardly a convincing argument.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">