• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"street racing"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navyblueburnout

Just to put it out there it wasn't me it was just a friend that I'm trying to help out. I get free JAG lawyers being in the military so if it was me I'd just go to them.

Now that's out there, A friend of mine was stopped along with another car in the middle of a public road. While both of the cars were at full stop a cop came up and pulled them over. Charges were "Driving vehicle in race, speed contest on highway. used by public." The cop swapped the tickets so they got each others but the charges are the same. All the info is correct they just got mixed up. Now, they were at a complete stop so can they use the dash cam footage of the cop as evidence they were not in a "speed contest" that they were in fact at a complete stop and it was just a regular road not a highway. I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but could they also get it dismissed due to the fact the offer swapped the tickets and gave personal information out to the wrong person. The state is Maryland if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for any help. Let me know if you need any more information.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

When the officer stopped, has nothing to do with what he witnessed. Nor does his inadvertently giving the tickets to the wrong party, if they did not just exchange them to claim that.

navyblueburnout

When the officer stopped, has nothing to do with what he witnessed. Nor does his inadvertently giving the tickets to the wrong party, if they did not just exchange them to claim that.
"When the officer stopped, has nothing to do with what he witnessed."
He didn't witness anything besides two cars stopped on the road. There was no race. Neither of the cars were moving.

"Nor does his inadvertently giving the tickets to the wrong party, if they did not just exchange them to claim that"
They didn't exhange them, I was right there. But of course who's gunna believe that? So I guess that part doesn't really matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to put it out there it wasn't me it was just a friend that I'm trying to help out. I get free JAG lawyers being in the military so if it was me I'd just go to them.

Now that's out there, A friend of mine was stopped along with another car in the middle of a public road. While both of the cars were at full stop a cop came up and pulled them over. Charges were "Driving vehicle in race, speed contest on highway. used by public." The cop swapped the tickets so they got each others but the charges are the same. All the info is correct they just got mixed up. Now, they were at a complete stop so can they use the dash cam footage of the cop as evidence they were not in a "speed contest" that they were in fact at a complete stop already and it was just a regular road not a highway. I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but could they also get it dismissed due to the fact the offer swapped the tickets and gave personal information out to the wrong person. The state is Maryland if that helps any.

1: This forum is for US law only.
2: In most states, a "highway" is a "regular road"
3: You say they were at a complete stop "already". You'd make a great witness for the prosecution :rolleyes::rolleyes:

navyblueburnout

1: This forum is for US law only. - I'm in the U.S.
2: In most states, a "highway" is a "regular road" - Didn't know that so thanks for clearing that up.
3: You say they were at a complete stop "already". You'd make a great witness for the prosecution. - Maybe I should change my career then. :rolleyes: I guess I worded that wrong so let me say again. No car moved. Neither car had began to move. They did not stop in the middle or after a race because there was no race.

Can footage from an external source be used to show the whole fiasco? Ie. Cell phone video.

Silverplum

My apologies - I missed that the state is Maryland.
Of course you did, and probably several others did also. Instead of answering the auto-question at the beginning of the post as requested, OP threw the state name in at the end.

:rolleyes:

Now that's out there, A friend of mine was stopped along with another car in the middle of a public road. While both of the cars were at full stop a cop came up and pulled them over. Charges were "Driving vehicle in race, speed contest on highway. used by public." The cop swapped the tickets so they got each others but the charges are the same. All the info is correct they just got mixed up. Now, they were at a complete stop so can they use the dash cam footage of the cop as evidence they were not in a "speed contest" that they were in fact at a complete stop and it was just a regular road not a highway. I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but could they also get it dismissed due to the fact the offer swapped the tickets and gave personal information out to the wrong person. The state is Maryland if that helps any.

navyblueburnout

Of course you did, and probably several others did also. Instead of answering the auto-question at the beginning of the post as requested, OP threw the state name in at the end.

:rolleyes:
Sorry about that. Didn't know it was such a big no-no. At least I didn't skip it all together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">