• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suffolk County, NY: Imprudent Speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nocturnal396

Hey, I was driving to the supermarket with a friend last night in about 2 inches of snow. When I entered the parkinglot (about 1/8th mile long and completely empty), I drove around to the far side, made a U turn (slightly skidding...this was intentional but it was nothing reckless nor was it at a high speed) and drove back. Upon driving back, a police cruiser came down the street and pulled into the parking lot, pulled up behind me and turned his lights on.

Anyway, after some colorful language which I reported to the Internal Affairs division earlier today, he handed me a ticked for "10-19 BTO Imprudent Option-Speeding".

I gather that means unreasonable speed, although I am not quite sure what the 10-19 or BTO mean. The officer told me the ticket was for "dicking around in the parkinglot" so he wasn't much help.

In my opinion, I was NOT traveling AT ALL too fast in this parking lot. I was maybe traveling 15mph in a lot that was completely deserted. I don't KNOW if the police officer saw me skid a little to make the U turn, but being that the ticket specifically states "speeding", would he even be able to bring that up in court? Does 10-19 cover other offenses?

I ask this because I want to go to court prepared. I wish to dispute the vague "imprudent" speed claim, but I don't even want to bring up the skid. Will/can the officer bring this up? What should I do? I am a full time college student and work part time as a mechanic and I simply can't afford to pay this ticket. Pleading innocent is a must.

thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">