• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons for traffic offense in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaydip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I got a summons a month back for driving 85 mph on 70 mph. I live in New Jersey and I wont be able to go to the VA court. I am not aware of the charges and points I may get on my license. The police officer then told me that if I don't appear in the court, I may have to pay little extra, may be some $150- $200. May I get some information on that. Please advice. Thanks a lot.

FlyingRon

First off, are you charged with reckless driving? Reckless driving is a criminal violation in Virginia (and 85 *is* presumed reckless). Yes, some of the "speed trap" jurisdictions will allow you to be tried in absentia (because the Commonwealth's attorney has agreed to forgo the possibility of a jail sentence). Frankly, I would contact a lawyer in the jurisdiction you're cited and see if you can get this reduced or dismissed (perhaps for taking a driving class)>
Usually, if the court is willing to try you in absentia, they'll also allow the lawyer to stand/negotiate for you.

jaydip

Thank you for the advice. And yes the law section is 46.2-862 in my summons. I do not know what is that means.

slwslw

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">