• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Super Speeder Fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QSEQB6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AL

A few months ago I got a speeding ticket while traveling through GA; it was 17 miles over the limit. The cop told me to pay the ticket to the Court so I did a month ago and got a receipt. So I thought that was the end of it.
Recently I received a letter in the mail from Dep't of Driver Services in GA. The letter states that I have to pay another $200 Super Speeder Fee on top of my initial payment to the Court to avoid license suspension of my Alabama license. Is this possible? GA authority suspending my AL license?
Is this some kind of extortion? I've already paid my share of the ticket and now I've to pay more? I don't quite understand this, can someone shed some light on this and offer some recommendations? I thought by paying the ticket that was the end of it.
What's the consequence of not paying the Super Speeder Fee? I was thinking of moving out of AL and into another state, like FL. Would that get me out this this? I think it's outrageous to keep paying. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

The Georgia Super Speeder Law was put into place to help curtail the high number of speeders driving through the state of Georgia where you got the ticket.

It's NOT extortion, it's a law that tacks-on another $200 state penalty for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs. Failure to pay the ‘SuperSpeeder’ fee results in an additional $50.00 fee and the suspension of the offender’s driving privileges and license.

While you received the ticket in Georgia, and the Super Speeder fee applies for that, they can ALSO coordinate with the state where you are licensed (Alabama) and potentially have your license suspended there. If you were to move to Florida, that same coordination would likely occur (i.e., moving out of state isn't going to help you to avoid the penalty).

My suggestion to you is that if you don't want to have to pay such exorbitant fees or risk having your license suspended again in the future, that you pay the fees now and STOP SPEEDING.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The additional fee is not collected by the local court but rather by the state. That does not make it invalid or a scam or extortion. It's the same in New York, for example, with the Driver Responsibility Assessment - it's not collected by the courts you get a different "bill" from the DMV.

And as sandy mentioned, you absolutely can and will get your license suspended at Georgia's request, no matter where you are licensed, if you fail to pay any required fee or penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">