• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supervision/Probation for out of state ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IMASpeeder

What is the name of your state? IL

Over the weekend I got a ticket for 24 over (84/60) in Indiana. I don't want to fight the ticket, but I would like to know how I can reduce the effect it has on my insurance rates? I know that in IL you can get supervision for a year (with or without traffic school, depending on the jurisdiction) and it will not appear on the insurance record, but how does this work (is it even possible) for an out of state ticket?

FlyingRon

Don't believe you can duck a conviction in Indiana (even for Indiana residents, the drivers course just knocks points off your total).

Just be lucky they didn't write you for 26 over. There's a break at 25 for sanctions. Expect to blow close to $200 in fine and costs.

Hey There

Answer to one Query

12 -26-07

IAMSpeeder,

Illinois and Indiana are members of the "Driver's License Compact"
This means the state in which
the driver who is found guilty of a traffic violation collects the fine.
(Indiana in this case)

The state where the driver has been licensed
assigns points as if the conviction had occurred within their state.
Illinois in this case)
Note:
Points can't be assigned to a driver's license that he doesn't have.

Over the weekend I got a ticket for 24 over (84/60) in Indiana.
15 to 25mph =20 points in Illinois .
I wasn't able to find where completion of traffic school or supervision for a traffic violation in Illinois would keep the insurance carrier from being notified of the traffic violation conviction.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist only that I haven't been able to find an answer to this question on the internet.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

IMASpeeder

I do know that for most tickets in IL (assuming you haven't had a violation in the last 12 months), taking traffic school will keep it off of your IL insurance record. Usually you get that information with the ticket, and it seems to be a state program, instead of a 3rd party, that organizes it.

I have had a hard time confirming or denying the availability of completing traffic school to do the same for out of state tickets as well. I wonder if it's time to make an anonymous call to the DMV/Secretary of State...

Hey There

12-26-07
IMAspeeder:

State violation occurred =$ collected
State violation reported to = The rules are the SAME for the traffic violation whether the driving violation was committed in state or out-of-state.
Where the violation occurred has NO bearing on the availability of traffic school. The rules on traffic school, reporting to the insurance company, points assigned, are the same for a traffic ticket conviction ,whether the violation occurred in state or out-of-state.
In my previous post I'm going to edit the second to the last sentence to clarify that while I can't find the conditions in which a person with an Illinois Driver's Licence is eligible for driver's school to clear points from his licence ,the same rules apply whether or not the violation occurred in state or out of state.
I'm not sure how a driver would be notified of points applied to his licence because of an out of state violation he plead guilty to or was convicted of.
You stated that information about traffic school is usually given with the traffic ticket.
Perhaps a lawyer would answer the question if a driver plead guilty or posted bail to a traffic violation out of state, does the state where he holds a driver's licence notify that driver of points put on his licence and his eligibility for attending traffic school?
Alternatively, you may try the two sources you mentioned.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">