• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supposed stop sign violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uswriter1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I recently got pulled over and issued a PA citation for failure to stop at a stop sign. The Statute cited is 3323B. There's a few problems here, though.

The officer pulled me over about a half mile from the supposed infraction, after I had been stopped at a traffic light. I'm not even sure where this "stop sign" was, just that it was somewhere supposedly before the intersection where I stopped. I know that this particular borough is notorious for ticketing drivers and I suspect that this was bogus, especially since I'm from out of state.

Also, the cop told me to pay the fine, because the ticket wouldn't cause points on my license and wouldn't affect my insurance. The PA DOT website says that the 3323B will put 3 points on my license...which certainly will impact my insurance. Also, many insurance carriers will screw you for 3-5 years just because you had a violation...regardless of whether the state assigns points or not. I have an absolutely clean driving record until my run-in with Roscoe P. Coltraine.

So, I'm pretty furious at this point and am definitely taking this to court. Any advice? I think the cop outright lied to me about paying the fine and the whole "no points" thing. Plus the fact that he pulled me over long after the violation supposedly happened makes me suspect.

The Occultist

I'm afraid the Statute of Limitations is a little more than 5 minutes, so that is not an avenue that will prove fruitful to you.

You say you're out of state. If you have an out of state license, then PA, as its own entity, cannot assign points to your license; only your state can do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">