• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surcharge on ticket fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzy999

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband received 2 tickets, one for no license and one for no insurance. He went to court and paid his fines. Now, 6 months later, he gets 2 letters from the TX Dept of Public Safety demanding that surcharges be paid on these offenses for the next 3 years.
I know that some state's insurance agencies charge a surcharge but this is not related to that sort of thing.
It seems to me that they are charging and punishing him over and over for a debt that is already paid. It's not exactly "double jeopardy" but in my opinion, this isn't constitutional. When you pay your fines and have your day in court, it should be resolved. If he doesn't pay, his license will be suspended (he doesn't have one anyway!) and they will tack on collection fees and I'm sure they will add interest too.
The Texas Transportation Code pertaining to this is Chapter 708, in case anyone has encountered this before. I believe it's a fairly new law.
I need to find out if we have a leg to stand on here, before I decide to take on the entire state of Texas.

Help me please!!
Suzy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">