• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tcerratom

What is the name of your state? New York

My license was suspended for a brief time before I was able to get a restricted license. During the time my license was suspended, I was pulled over at a Police checkpoint by the local police. I was given a ticket for driving with a suspended license. Now I have to go to court to face a misdemeanor charge for that incident. Is there a lesser charge I can ask for vs. facing a permanent record, which would be the result of a conviction for driving with a suspended license?

HomeGuru

tcerratom said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My license was suspended for a brief time before I was able to get a restricted license. During the time my license was suspended, I was pulled over at a Police checkpoint by the local police. I was given a ticket for driving with a suspended license. Now I have to go to court to face a misdemeanor charge for that incident. Is there a lesser charge I can ask for vs. facing a permanent record, which would be the result of a conviction for driving with a suspended license?
**A: yes, there is a lessor charge that you can ask for. You can even ask that your case be dismissed.

depends if you had notice of the initial suspension. If you want to get out of it, then tell the DA/court that you did not have notice (ie, notice was sent to the wrong address- you have then since moved)

if you had notice, then it's a different story.

racer72

And if New York is like my state, there is no legal requirement for the state to notify you if your license is suspended. And the OP knew his license was suspended when he was pulled over. justin2003, your comment holds no water. Everyone, and I mean everyone that goes to court for driving on a suspended will claim that they had no notification. That is probably in the top 10 lame excuses judges hear. Lack of notification will not get you out of a ticket.

racer72 said:
And if New York is like my state, there is no legal requirement for the state to notify you if your license is suspended. And the OP knew his license was suspended when he was pulled over. justin2003, your comment holds no water. Everyone, and I mean everyone that goes to court for driving on a suspended will claim that they had no notification. That is probably in the top 10 lame excuses judges hear. Lack of notification will not get you out of a ticket.
**racer72, I hear you. I guess I didn't clarify. Well, here in CA, the DA has your CLETS sheet with your file. The defendant can only pray that the sheet directs the DA to give notice if not proper upon original suspension.

if the sheet states you have notice, then it will hold no water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">