• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylinford

UTAH.
I received a ticket for driving on a suspended license.

FACTS:
1. MY DRIVERS LICENSE HAD EXPIRED BEFORE IT WAS SUSPENDED.
2. I WAS DRIVING.

QUESTION(S):
1. IF THE STATE OF UTAH HAD NOT GRANTED ME PERMISSION TO DRIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE HOW CAN THEY SUSPEND THE PRIVILEGE?
2. CAN I PLEAD INNOCENT TO THE CHARGES BASED ON THE FACT THAT I HAD NOT APPLIED FOR OR BEEN GRANTED DRIVING PRIVILEGES IN THE STATE OF UTAH?

FlyingRon

Please do not type in all caps. It makes it hard to read and looks like you are shouting.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Did you have a Utah license.
Certainly they can issue a suspension to an expired license. An expired license you
reinstate at will by reapplying. A suspended one generally has other conditions that
need to be met before you can be unsuspended.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I assume you are not licensed by Utah?

There is a difference between license and driving privilege. States have every right to ban you from driving in their state by suspending your privilege to drive in that state. Happens all the time.

So your license can be valid in 49 states, just not in Utah.

jaylinford

Dumbest thing ever?

The dumbest thing ever would be to assume that I should plead guilty when I am not sure of the law.
-or-
To try to make someone feel stupid for asking a question.

If you were to listen carefully there is a difference between driving without a license or an expired license and a suspended license. I believed I was in fact driving without a valid license but did not believe that I was driving while suspended.

I believe that there is president that I have a constitiutional right to use the public highways and byways. I do not have the knowledge to fight that fight.
But I could declare that I was not licensed and therefore I was in fact charged with the wrong thing.

FlyingRon

The dumbest thing ever would be to assume that I should plead guilty when I am not sure of the law.
Lighten up. When you see a line across the bottom of somebody's post, the stuff that follows is a "signature" which often contains some joke or quote. It's not directed at you (all posts from the same poster will have the same one).
If you were to listen carefully there is a difference between driving without a license or an expired license and a suspended license. I believed I was in fact driving without a valid license but did not believe that I was driving while suspended.
You're still not making sense. Did you have a Utah license? Was that license suspended (doesn't matter if it also expired in the process) by the state? Why was it suspended?
I believe that there is president that I have a constitiutional right to use the public highways and byways.
PRECEDENT...you mean. While you have the right to travel and have use of the roads, you do not have the unqualified right to DRIVE without obeying the laws with regard to licensure, rules of the road etc..
I do not have the knowledge to fight that fight.
There is no knowledge that will help that.
But I could declare that I was not licensed and therefore I was in fact charged with the wrong thing.
Try it in court, but you're not going to get far. There is nothing that says your license can't be suspended or revoked even if it were expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">