• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Geobid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I let my friend borrow my car she got a ticket and her license is suspended and they have impounded my car can they do that?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I let my friend borrow my car she got a ticket and her license is suspended and they have impounded my car can they do that?
Absolutely. They did it, didn't they? And yes they are allowed by law to do it.

If she gets her license unsuspended, you can get it freed up. You also can ask for a post-impoundment hearing but they are not under any obligation to release the car before the 30 days are up just because you argue you didn't know she was suspended.

justalayman

Well, by virtue of the fact they do have your car it is clearly obvious they can do that.

Now, whether you can retrieve your vehicle and how much it may cost you is really what you need to know, at least I would think.

CdwJava

You have 10 days to request a post storage hearing. They MAY release the car early - they may not. Also keep in mind that it is a crime in CA to allow an unlicensed driver to operate your car without making reasonable inquiry as to their license status. Did this person show you a valid license? Did you KNOW they were suspended?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">