• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License - Arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rutan74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

My son forgot to pay a speeding ticket from another state and the SC DMV suspended his license some time ago without any notice. I know this because all his mail comes to our address (Parents). He never got a notice of suspension.

Anyway, he was pulled over for a random stop to check insurance and registration and was ticketed with driving with a suspended license and was arrested.

A trial date has been set. Since the initial arrest, the speeding ticket has been paid and the his suspened license has been reinstated.

I'm wondering if he needs a lawyer to deal with this since it is a felony here in SC, or is this something that can be handled when we go to court? I have heard from the officers at the jail that when this happens, if you show up with everything paid up, they will reduce the fine, but I am wondering about the felony count. He is young and has never been in any trouble at all. He is 21 though. Can this felony count be reduced so that it will not go on his record?

Since neither my wife or I have ever been to court, we have no idea as to the process and the court date is upon us.

Any advice?

thanks, jg

Hey There

A start

rutan74

What is the violation # and description your son was cited for?
Age of son? Covered under juvenile or adult law?

Some lawyers will consult with a driver for a one time visit or for a modest fee to advise a driver of his options.Adds in the yellow pages should have listings of which ones do this.
Google How To Choose A Lawyer for information on contacting and choosing a lawyer.

Best Regards,
Hey There

FlyingRon

Kid is an adult.
It's up to him to make sure his proper address (where he gets mail timely) is on file with the DMV for this.

It is not a felony, just a misdemanor $200 and/or 30 days max.

rutan74

Kid is an adult.
It's up to him to make sure his proper address (where he gets mail timely) is on file with the DMV for this.

It is not a felony, just a misdemanor $200 and/or 30 days max.
FlyingRon,

Thanks for the input. His address on his license is his home. He was living in Columbia at the time going to USC, but his license still had his home address. We get all his mail, and although we did get a notice from the WVA DMV warning of a suspension, we never got anything from the SC DMV saying that his license was officially suspended.

FYI, I did manage to talk to a lawyer and he basically said what you did. It looks like 300, and a misdemeanor.

But thanks anyway for the input. I appreciated it.

jg

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
FlyingRon,

Thanks for the input. His address on his license is his home. He was living in Columbia at the time going to USC, but his license still had his home address. We get all his mail, and although we did get a notice from the WVA DMV warning of a suspension, we never got anything from the SC DMV saying that his license was officially suspended.

FYI, I did manage to talk to a lawyer and he basically said what you did. It looks like 300, and a misdemeanor.

But thanks anyway for the input. I appreciated it.

jg
Perhaps you shouldn't just ignore notices of this sort...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">