• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License in a Non-Resident State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaileyd

My license was suspended in Iowa for a Serious Violation (25mph over the speed limit), but I am a resident of Nebraska. When I talked to the DOT they told me to pay the $200 civil penalty and submitting an SR-22 form, or pay the penalty and carry the SR-22 insurance filing for Iowa.

What is the difference between submitting the form and carrying the insurance? If I submit the form, will my insurance increase dramatically? They said that if I fulfill these two requirements then I will be eligible to get a license in another state, but I already have my resident Nebraska license.

Thanks for your help!

racer72

When Iowa suspended your privelige to drive, it is suspended in all 50 states. Google "States drivers licence compact". An SR-22 filing is submitted to the state by your insurance company, it will increase your premium by 2 times or more. Your insurance agent will help you with this.

FlyingRon

I disagree with the first part of racer's statement. Iowa can only suspend your Iowa license OR your rights to drive in the state. However, the state that issued your license will find out about the Iowa suspension sooner or later and pull your license there, so you need to get this fixed in Iowa anyhow.

The SR-22 form is a certification that you are carrying the insurance. The insurance company has to inform the state if they cancel (or you drop) the coverage. You can't get an SR-22 (and maintain its status) without paying for the insurance and as racer says, SR-22 policies will cost you more.

kaileyd

Thank you both for your help, it is much appreciated.

Is there anyway to circumvent filling out this SR-22 form? (Driving School, court hearing, etc)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">