• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended Registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redjack

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I had finally saved up enough to pay the fee to get the suspension on my registration terminated when, of course, I got ticketed. The cop was sitting right at the border of the town typing in license plate numbers and got me.

It was suspended for an insurance lapse. At the time I had insurance so no worries on that. Also, I sent in my payment a couple of days after and have my green slip saying that the suspension was terminated dated 10 days after the ticket.

So what are my chances of getting this dismissed? Am I going to need a lawyer? And, of course, what sort of fine am I looking at if things don't turn out with a clean record and only a few parking tickets?

Thanks in advance...

HomeGuru

redjack said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I had finally saved up enough to pay the fee to get the suspension on my registration terminated when, of course, I got ticketed. The cop was sitting right at the border of the town typing in license plate numbers and got me.

It was suspended for an insurance lapse. At the time I had insurance so no worries on that. Also, I sent in my payment a couple of days after and have my green slip saying that the suspension was terminated dated 10 days after the ticket.

So what are my chances of getting this dismissed? Am I going to need a lawyer? And, of course, what sort of fine am I looking at if things don't turn out with a clean record and only a few parking tickets?

Thanks in advance...

**A: why were you driving with an expired registration?

redjack

My parents had just driven from central NY to NYC and back to get my brother who was in intensive care for 2 months. I went to see him.

sukharev

Chances are, you will have an easy time in court. If you show the letter to the judge, you may even get the charge dismissed and just pay court costs. HomeGuru is right, you should not have been driving, and the judge may call you on that. In such case, pleading guilty with explanation may work for you better.

HomeGuru

redjack said:
My parents had just driven from central NY to NYC and back to get my brother who was in intensive care for 2 months. I went to see him.

**A: there is no exemption in the law for that specific reason.

redjack

HomeGuru said:
**A: there is no exemption in the law for that specific reason.
I never thought there was; I was just stating why I did. And that's why I'm on here looking for advice, how I can expect this to go, and a guess at what the fine would be.

sukharev

redjack said:
I never thought there was; I was just stating why I did. And that's why I'm on here looking for advice, how I can expect this to go, and a guess at what the fine would be.
Don't guess, just look at your ticket. You can also call court to find out typical court costs.

redjack

It's just a uniform traffic ticket with the appearance date on it. No indication of the fine. And when I called she said she really couldn't give me a typical cost of the fine :(

redjack

Took a bit of searching but I found it; thanks for the tip. I was expecting a bit worse, still not the greatest thing that can happen, but managable. I'll post it up here in case anyone is ever curious.

"§ 512. Operation while registration or privilege is suspended or revoked. Any person who operates any motor vehicle upon a public highway while the certificate of registration of such motor vehicle or privilege of operation of such motor vehicle in this state or privilege of obtaining a certificate of registration issued by the commissioner is suspended or revoked shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be subject to a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not exceeding thirty days or by both such fine and imprisonment for conviction of a first offense; by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not exceeding ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment for a conviction of a second offense committed within a period of eighteen months; by a fine of not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not exceeding one hundred eighty days or by both such fine and imprisonment for a conviction of a third or subsequent offense committed within a period of eighteen months."

sukharev

You are welcome. Good luck, looks like you need to go to court to have the fine determined. Present your case, state why you were driving with registration suspended, plead guilty with explanation and ask if misdemeanor charge or any points associated can be avoided (if it's your first violation, and you have fixed insurance problem BEFORE you started driving).

let us know how you made out :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">