• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Take a good look at our Justice System

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

sukharev said:
Here is a report I heared about on NPR today, anybody who thinks the justice system is fair should read it and think again. Enjoy :)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/stolenjustice/13674876.htm
Yes, sometimes it fails. However, if all these cases were made right on appeal I would contend that the system DOES work. That's what appeals are all about.

If there are errors at the lower level there are ways to correct them ... but, which of us is willing to pony up the HUGE amount of tax dollars it would take to make the system a balanced and "fair" playing field for all concerned? Actually, I doubt that there is enough money at all to pay for a system that will make everyone happy.

Perhaps if the defense attorneys were a little more zealous some of these errors would not have happened. But, nobody is guaranteed a right to Clarence Darrow or Johnny Cochran. They get what they pay for ... or who they are assigned.

If you have a better way to do it, lobby your legislator. Until then, the system is what it is. I am sure this article will cause some changes and introspection in Santa Clara County and elsewhere. How much good it might do will really depend on the perspective of the party looking at it.

- Carl

sukharev said:
Here is a report I heared about on NPR today, anybody who thinks the justice system is fair should read it and think again. Enjoy :)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/stolenjustice/13674876.htm
You should also reference the letters to the editor section of todays Merc News. http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/13725124.htm

I have seen one of the prosecutors featured in this series in action. He was the deputy DA prosecuting a murder case (my BIL was the victim). I would characterize him as an educated, dedicated, knowledgeable, diligent prosecutor, as opposed to the back handed, deal making snake in the grass the paper made him out to be.

Of course, it was horrible for these people who were wrongly incarcerated, but can you blame just one person and then taint that person's entire career?

I'm not rah rahing this man because we won. To the contrary, it was kind of a draw. Guilty of murder but not guilty by reason of insanity. But I can honestly say I feel that he gave it his all to present all the evidence in the case in a fair manner. BTW, the case was decided by a judge not jury. Still not sure which would have been better, but it's not our call and I have every confidence in the deputy DA.

I like Carl's comment about it being the perspective of the person reading the series. Over 25 years of trying homicide cases and the Merc latches onto one in an attempt to bring him down. Kind of sad, considering all the good he's done. Just another point of view to think about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">