• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TBTA summons without being pulled over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nailz73235

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Can a TBTA peace officer issue you a summons for a moving violation even if he or she didn't ever pull you over?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It depends upon what you mean by "not pulled over".

Did another officer stop you and hand you the summons and his partner wrote it?

Or do you mean you got it in the mail?

You have to provide a little more detail.

Nailz73235

Thank you for the preliminary responses. I'll provide more detail.

The other day, while attempting to cross the Throgs Neck Bridge, I found myself in the E-ZPass Lane stuck behind a motorist who did not have an E-ZPass. After waiting a minute or two for the other motorist to be processed manually, I (foolishly) decided to back up about 15 feet and move to the adjacent E-ZPass Lane. Signs all over said "Do not back up" and threatened a 2 point summons.

I made the maneuver, went through the E-ZPass toll and proceeded on my way. I had no interaction with TBTA at all, and I didn't see anyone in my immediate vicinity. (The other motorist was still waiting as I began my maneuver.)

I haven't received anything in the mail or otherwise since the incident one week ago. I'm just kind of wondering the likelihood of having had my plate number written down and, thus, being hit with the summons that way.

Thank you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In New York State, a summons for any traffic infraction or violation must be personally served.

I don't think anyone will be knocking on your door to serve you, especially NOT TBTA.

You're in the clear but hopefully learned a lesson and won't pull a dopey maneuver like that again.

Nailz73235

In New York State, a summons for any traffic infraction or violation must be personally served.

I don't think anyone will be knocking on your door to serve you, especially NOT TBTA.

You're in the clear but hopefully learned a lesson and won't pull a dopey maneuver like that again.
Thank you very much for the information. I didn't know that.

Thank you again and, yes, lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">