• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen w/Driver's Permit driving parent's unregistered/uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My son is getting his learner's permit and lives with his father whose car is unregistered. Given other circumstances at Dad's, it's probably reasonable to assume the car is uninsured too.

I'm concerned what will happen to my son's DMV record if he's ever pulled over. Will it go on his record since he only has a permit, or will the entire burden be placed on his dad?

Maestro64

Generally speaking Registration and Insurance is the responsibility of the the owner of the car, however, many time it is the drive of the car which is ticketed for driving without a properly registered and insured car.

Since your son will be on his permit that usually means an adult must be supervise his driving so if he is stop for any reason if the officer is reasonable most likely he will write the father up for lack of registration and insurance, but no guaranty. In this day, any time a junior driver is pulled over they tend to want to make an example of teach a lesson so they may not cut him a break and ticket him for everything they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">