• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tempoary registeration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have to get some additional signatures for my used car that I bought from someone before I can get it registered, so the county issued me a 30 day temp. My problem is, I keep getting pulled over because when the police run the plates, it still comes back as expired. I show them the temp paper that was given to me, they run my name, and let me go. This has happened twice. its annoying. Where the heck am I supposed to put this thing? Right now I have it taped to the outside of my back window because my windows are too dark to see it. But i am afraid it is going to come off. Do I need to remove the old plate, and put this on over it? Or leave it how I have it. The worker at the course house wasnt not very clear on what I was supposed to do with it.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have to get some additional signatures for my used car that I bought from someone before I can get it registered, so the county issued me a 30 day temp. My problem is, I keep getting pulled over because when the police run the plates, it still comes back as expired. I show them the temp paper that was given to me, they run my name, and let me go. This has happened twice. its annoying. Where the heck am I supposed to put this thing? Right now I have it taped to the outside of my back window because my windows are too dark to see it. But i am afraid it is going to come off. Do I need to remove the old plate, and put this on over it? Or leave it how I have it. The worker at the course house wasnt not very clear on what I was supposed to do with it.
i think it was Staples to Office Max that had this plastic sticky thing that was used for mailing inserts on packages. i used one for my temp tags, worked great. had to use Goof Off to remove the sticky part...but it will help you from getting pulled over if you are abiding by the laws of the raod.

Thanks for the response, but what I am wondering is, is there a specific place on the car that it has to be? Also should I go ahead and remove the old plates since they are coming back as expired? Its embarassing getting pulled over, and I am almost afraid to be on the road even though I am not doing nothing,

Isis1

Thanks for the response, but what I am wondering is, is there a specific place on the car that it has to be? Also should I go ahead and remove the old plates since they are coming back as expired? Its embarassing getting pulled over, and I am almost afraid to be on the road even though I am not doing nothing,
you risk getting pulled over for not having plates. so there that idea goes. it's normally supposed to be in the back window. so the officer behind you can see it.

Technically, its not YOUR car until you have the ability to register it. How you got a temp. registration is puzzling.

Well, you'll get to meet a lot of officers until its resolved.

davew128

Technically, its not YOUR car until you have the ability to register it. How you got a temp. registration is puzzling.

Technically you're full of it. A registration doesn't convey or indicate ownership.

davew128

I wondered how he could have registered it because he does not have title yet ... the ability to register conveys or shows ownership...

I think you misread my post dude.
One can have ownership of a car and not be able to register it because of outstanding tickets. Which of course is NOT what you were saying.

Technically, its not YOUR car until you have the ability to register it.
I didn't misread what you posted. Dude.

Vehicle registration?? You falling for this fascist drivel? You OWN your vehicle .. there is no need to register it with the government? It serves no purpose & its in direct conflict with our constitutional right to assemble.

The state has no legal interest in your vehicles.

asiny

Vehicle registration?? You falling for this fascist drivel? You OWN your vehicle .. there is no need to register it with the government? It serves no purpose & its in direct conflict with our constitutional right to assemble.

The state has no legal interest in your vehicles.
Dillon... sorry, startedone, please go away. You bring nothing to every discussion you have posted your drivel in.

Driving is not a right. Not having a car does not conflict with the right to assemble... take the bus or walk to assemble.

The argument of what is- and is not- fascism can go back-and-forth but the bottom line is the laws of the land are to be followed. You can try to argue any of these laws if you want and be prepared to spend your own money to argue them.... just don't expect to win.

Isis1

i've had one. it's a temp pass. square thing. mine was read with a number in the background. it gives you 30 or so days to fix what is missing.

Right to travel by automobile

U.S. Supreme Court in Packard v. Banton, 264 U.S. 140, 144:

"The right to travel interstate by auto vehicle upon the public highways may be a privilege or immunity of citizens of the United States."

"A citizen may have, under the Fourteenth Amendment, the right to travel and transport his property upon them by auto vehicle. But he has no right to make the highways his place of business by using them as a common carrier for hire. Such use is a privilege which may be granted or withheld by the state in its discretion, without violating either the due process clause or the equal protection clause."

The federal definition of Motor Vehicle: 18 USC Part 1 Chapter 2 section 31 definitions:

"(6) Motor vehicle. - The term "motor vehicle" means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used for commercial purposes on the highways…"

"(10) "Used for commercial purposes." Means the carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit"

Also in right to assemble --

The United States Supreme Court in Aptheker v. Secretary Of State, 378 U.S. 500 (1964):

At page 519:

"...the right to move freely from State to State is a privilege and immunity of national citizenship (see Edwards v. California, 314 U.S. 160, 178 ), none can be barred from exercising it, ... But the right remains sacrosanct, only illegal conduct being punishable.

Free movement by the citizen is of course as dangerous to a tyrant as free expression of ideas or the right of assembly and it is therefore controlled in most countries in the interests of security. … That is why the ticketing of people and the use of identification papers are routine matters under totalitarian regimes, yet abhorrent in the United States.”

Freedom of movement, at home and abroad, is important for job and business opportunities - for cultural, [378 U.S. 500, 520] political, and social activities - for all the commingling which gregarious man enjoys. Those with the right of free movement use it at times for mischievous purposes. But that is true of many liberties we enjoy. We nevertheless place our faith in them, and against restraint, knowing that the risk of abusing liberty so as to give rise to punishable conduct is part of the price we pay for this free society.

“Freedom of movement is kin to the right of assembly and to the right of association. These rights may not be abridged, ..."

“… Absent war, I see no way to keep a citizen from traveling within or without the country, unless there is power to detain him. Ex parte Endo, 323 U.S. 283 . And no authority to detain exists except under extreme conditions, e. g., unless he has been convicted of a crime or unless there is probable cause for issuing a warrant of arrest by standards of the Fourth Amendment. This freedom of movement is the very essence of our free society, setting us apart. Like the right of assembly and the right of association, it often makes all other rights meaningful - knowing, studying, arguing, exploring, conversing, observing and even thinking. Once the right to travel is curtailed, all other rights suffer, …”

asiny

startedone.... none of the OPs rights are being violated. The states requirement that the vehicle have registration does not infringe the OPs rights to travel by auto/motor vehicle nor their right to assemble.

Just because the OP cannot use their auto/motor vehicle to travel... does not meant they CANNOT travel using any other auto/motor vehicle. Nor does it meant the OP cannot assemble.

Now lie down before you hurt yourself. It must be painful to be you... all those thoughts floating around in your head... and not one of them helpful to the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">