+ Reply to Thread
    jusb Guest

ten year old ticket

I live in Houston, TX

Ten years ago I got a ticket in Sweetwater TX and never did pay it. A couple days ago I got a letter from a collection agent saying a warrant was issued for my arrest and to send $200. I guess my questions are:
    Why did it take them so long to issue a warrant?
    How do I check if there is actually a warant out?
    What happens if I pay it and still get arrested? i.e.- I mailed the check but it hadn't been received yet.
    thanks
    DRN Guest
    Would you please email me your phone number so I can call and say you owe $200 for another old ticket?

I'll give you the address to send it to.

TomHartmann is offline Member
    The warrant goes on your record as forever until you pay. Of course, there is an arrest warrant if you dont pay.
    spawn_x is offline Member
    why didn't you pay it ???
    jusb Guest
    I don't know. It was so long ago. I was pretty broke back then, I guess.

UPDATE:
    I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket on Thursday. The officer didn't mention anything about having a warrant. Boy was I scared. I was driving my company truck at the time. I'm thinking maybe the city of Sweetwater is just bluffing.
    Kaz the Minotau Guest
    No, Sweetwater isn't bluffing. Police officers don't always check for warrants/run someone's driver's license. Get it taken care of.
    justin2003 is offline Member
    Originally posted by DRN
    Would you please email me your phone number so I can call and say you owe $200 for another old ticket?

I'll give you the address to send it to.

me too
    rabdargab is offline Junior Member

me too!

I just received a letter from a ten year old ticket ,as well, here in Texas. The thing is, it says that a warrant has been issued, but i assume the warrant was issued a long time ago because I called the court and confirmed it ten years ago...I was a teenager at the time. I actually bonded out with my income tax check, which I think was like $500, (I made peanuts), and had my court date re-set. I showed up and the judge still wanted me to pay the failure to appear ticket plus my tail light being out and I didn't have insurance. I was doing ok for a while, but I became unemployed and missed just one payment. I called to tell them about my situation but they said a warrant had already been issued. Three years later a cop told me I had a warrant, but didn't arrest me. Five years after that I got pulled over twice. Once with a warning and the second time I took defensive driving. I have renewed my driver's license twice; once because I lost it and the second time because I got married and changed my name. So I don't understand how they are issuing a warrant when one was issued already and I have been in situations where my driving record has been pulled up more than twice. Hopefully they're just bluffing because the city of Bellaire is broke and is trying to scare me. The amount I owe is $1700, by the way. The, "you got lucky" excuse is ridiculous. I'm not THAT lucky.
    randolph76 is offline Member
    I would be suspicious if a collection agency sent me a letter saying I had a warrant for my arrest. Call the courthouse and verify. But from your post it sounds like its legitimate.

You really should get with the court and have this cleared up. This isn't something you want hanging over you forever.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    This thread is already 8 years old!
    randolph76 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    This thread is already 8 years old!
    Didn't notice the date, sorry