• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bertram

Ok.. I received a letter from Dept. Of Public Saftey last week stating that my drivers license would not be renewed because i had an unpaid outstanding ticket. I called them, and they indicated that the fine was $140, and told me the number to call for the county the ticket was issued in. Apparently I got a ticket over 7yrs ago ( i don't even remember getting stopped, but then again that was a long time ago). I was going to just pay it and be done with the matter, but the clerk is telling me that they've sent it to a collection agency and I owe them another $50 for their fee's. Is this legal? it just seems wrong! The $140 fine already includes a failure to appear fine (i never got the letter as I moved), and court fees. Would requesting a court date do any good?

Help!

Bert

S

seniorjudge

bertram said:
Ok.. I received a letter from Dept. Of Public Saftey last week stating that my drivers license would not be renewed because i had an unpaid outstanding ticket. I called them, and they indicated that the fine was $140, and told me the number to call for the county the ticket was issued in. Apparently I got a ticket over 7yrs ago ( i don't even remember getting stopped, but then again that was a long time ago). I was going to just pay it and be done with the matter, but the clerk is telling me that they've sent it to a collection agency and I owe them another $50 for their fee's. Is this legal? it just seems wrong! The $140 fine already includes a failure to appear fine (i never got the letter as I moved), and court fees. Would requesting a court date do any good?

Help!

Bert
Q: Is this legal?

A: Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">