• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Speeding ticket- Notice from their state attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ke1n

I live in AZ..

A year ago I was driving through middle of n owhere Texas and got a speeding ticket. It was outrageous, and when I called in to pay they charged an extra fee making it $400+. I did not pay it.

A few monthes ago I went to the DMV and asked for a driving record and it was clean of this Texas ticket. they didnt even file a complaint. Today I received a letter from that town's state attorney saying I must pay the ticekt, + another fee or I will risk having an arrest warrant against me and will have adidtional fines.

Now I never go to that state. I have not received anything from my DMV of this ticket, and I would have thought they would have sent it already if they were going to.

My question is will my Arizona licence be affected? And especially wil lthis arrest warrant spread to AZ or is it only in that county/state?

I did look at that wikipedia link but since I havent heard anything from My AZ DMV, I want to make sure.

thanks in advance guys, great site.

The Occultist

The arrest warrant will probably not go to AZ, but you might be in for a surprise the next time you try renewing your registration.

ke1n

I have seen the violator's compact. The strange thing is the DMV here hasn't received any complaint from TX, and I was issued a ticket over a year ago.

This notice I received from the court's lawyer in TX seems like a step that would be taken AFTER requesting my licence be suspended by my DMV. That has not happened. My question is, if they haven't already contacted my DMV before sending this letter from their attorney, will they ever?

I hate how these tiny towns scheme to make money off passers by.

The Occultist

What you're asking isn't really a legal question. Contact your MVD and ask them. It seems they would know better than random people on a message board anyways...

Also, own up to your own responsibilities! Don't blame the town because YOU broke the law.

moburkes

Wow!
It was the town's fault that you can't read a speed limit sign. It was the town's fault that you got caught. It was the town's fault that you didn't pay the ticket. And, now its the town's fault that your license will be suspended.

And when you are required to file an SR22 in TX, although you don't live there, are there are VERY FEW COMPANIES that offer out of state SR22s, then who's fault will THAT be. Oh, let me guess: the town's.

I have seen the violator's compact. The strange thing is the DMV here hasn't received any complaint from TX, and I was issued a ticket over a year ago.

This notice I received from the court's lawyer in TX seems like a step that would be taken AFTER requesting my licence be suspended by my DMV. That has not happened. My question is, if they haven't already contacted my DMV before sending this letter from their attorney, will they ever?

If Arizona subscribes to the "Non-Resident Violators Compact" (some states do not), the usual proceedure is for the Texas DMV to file a complaint with the AZ officials, reporting your failure to "pay a fine or respond to a traffic citation". Some AZ agency then informs you that your license will be revoked within 60 days, unless you provide proof that you have handled the matter in Texas. If you want to keep your license, you pay up or contact the Texas agency designated.....or, you request a hearing with an AZ judge. About all that judge can do is give you more time to clear up the matter with Texas. He will not hear the merits of your speeding case, but can only rule, affirmative or negative, as to the question of whether or not you paid up or otherwise responed as required to the Texas citation.

It would be unwise to ignore the matter, to take a chance somebody is gonna forget about your citation. As time passes the potential penalty increases. Could lose your license and then be faced with clearing the citation (with added fees piled on), in addition to some heavy penalties for getting the driver's license reinstated.

ke1n

Wow!

It was the town's fault that you can't read a speed limit sign. It was the town's fault that you got caught. It was the town's fault that you didn't pay the ticket. And, now its the town's fault that your license will be suspended.

And when you are required to file an SR22 in TX, although you don't live there, are there are VERY FEW COMPANIES that offer out of state SR22s, then who's fault will THAT be. Oh, let me guess: the town's.
It is no secret that many of these piss-ant towns rely on speeders for revenue. Don't act like safety is the sole factor in writting these laws. Also, I did not put blame on the town for speeding, so don't put words in my mouth. You want to feel like you have some authority? Become a cop.

moburkes

Large towns make money off of speeders. At least mine did, when I paid my ticket. The only thing that I was making you aware of is the difficulty in obtaining insurance when you need an out of state SR22.

sukharev

My advice:

You have 3 basic choices.

1) You continue ignoring the ticket. Eventually, it will come back to you and you will have to deal with lots of extra fines, lost license and possible jail time.

2) You go and fight the ticket (if there is any chance the trial can be set up). You pay the costs of the trip, maybe hire an attorney near the court, and you have a slim chance of having the charges reduced to a non-moving violation. Also, try calling the officer, it worked for my friend recently, and the ticket disappeared. You need to save the attitude for later, though.

3) You pay up all outstanding fines, and move on with your life. Eventually, your insurance may go up, but it really depends on the situation. Consider it a loss, and take it with no regrets. Such is life. You'll gain somewhere else.

cepe10

It is no secret that many of these piss-ant towns rely on speeders for revenue. Don't act like safety is the sole factor in writting these laws. Also, I did not put blame on the town for speeding, so don't put words in my mouth. You want to feel like you have some authority? Become a cop.
Don't worry she's a total moron who like to finger wag - she's thinks this is the judge judy show:)

Spposedly the Drivers License Compact provides ticket information between states as well, but I know a ticket I got in MD on my MS license never transferred when I moved to MD even though both states are in the compact. so for what it is worth I'm not sure the administrators between the states work that well together:)

moburkes

Don't worry she's a total moron who like to finger wag - she's thinks this is the judge judy show:)

Spposedly the Drivers License Compact provides ticket information between states as well, but I know a ticket I got in MD on my MS license never transferred when I moved to MD even though both states are in the compact. so for what it is worth I'm not sure the administrators between the states work that well together:)

Now was any of that LEGAL ADVICE?:D

LSCAP

They WILL catch up with you.

A local talk show host told of a worker in the studio who had his license held up for two years for a parking ticket 30 years ago.
Though sure he paid, had no receipts. They (the town where the ticket was written) refused to take any money, as they no longer had a record of it.
It took another couple of weeks before he finally, with the radio show's help, he got his license back.

ceara19

They obviously managed to keep it a secret from YOU. Because if you KNEW that "these piss-ant towns rely on speeders for revenue" and chose to go speeding through town anyway, that would make you an idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">