• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas traffic citation options? Advice requested.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitadmexicano

Was cited by radar for doing 45 in a 35 zone. I don't believe I was speeding: It's my normal morning commute and the police stake out the end of the road pretty frequently, so I'm always very careful when I drive it. Little traffic in my direction, moderate traffic going the opposite direction. The distance he must have radared me at was about 0.25 mi., as that is where I turn onto the street. I have no way to prove this, but since there was a group of cars passing me the opposite way just after I made the turn and a slight curve to the street there, at that range we would all seem close together and that he must have read a departing vehicle and nabbed me on my way through. I was businesslike with officer but did ask to see his gun, and it did read 46. He issued me the ticket for 45.

I would like to contest the charge in court but am wondering where I stand. I'm 35 years old and my driving record is as follows: One 75 in a 65 zone in rural west Texas last September while I was visiting and still had a California license. Pled guilty and paid by mail. One speeding citation in Hayes county about a six weeks ago (no denial from me; just wasn't watching the speedo; pled no contest and paid fine by mail). This new one is the one that worries me. I would be glad to pay the fine (not very much), do the traffic school thing, or whatever, and be done with it but I am concerned about the number of points. Also, I have been an official Texas resident for less than two months now.

My questions are as follows: Does that fact that I was a California resident for that citation last year affect my Texas driving record?

Does that fact that I am a new resident affect my ability to attend traffic school?

I am less concerned about disproving the officer (unless that's what needs to happen). If I can arrange to pay a fine and just not have the points show on my record to be done with it, then that would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

lwpat

First of all you should never just pay the fine. Reductions are the norm if you contest the ticket. Texas does now have a point system plus this many tickets will drastically increase your insurance.

You can check your MVR with the Texas DMV to see exactly how you stand currently. You are eligible for traffic school or a deferment on this ticket so contact the clerk of court. Here is a link for more information on the Texas point system and Texas online traffic school.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/Texas-speeding-ticket.html

mitadmexicano

Thanks for that advice. One question, please: On the back of the ticket, it gives instructions for paying a fee and requesting traffic school/online/etc. via mail. Would it be better to call the court clerk and schedule an appearance in front of the judge to negotiate for traffic school or is simply sending in the appropriate fee and ticket by mail adequate? Thanks once more.

lwpat

There is no problem just doing it by mail. Just be sure to keep a copy of everything and be sure it has been received by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">