• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a law that requires a Radar sign where radar is used

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbia

California.

Is there a law that requires the posting of a (speed enforced by radar), or something like that where they run radar.

I got tagged for a 45 in a 30, but there is not a single "Speed enforced by Radar" sign
Is this illegal, does it infringe on the rights to know when we are being watched...is a posting required,...can this help me get the ticket thrown out in court?

What are diversion programs...would they apply here?

HELlllllp!!!!

Jumbia

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Jumbia said:
California.

Is there a law that requires the posting of a (speed enforced by radar), or something like that where they run radar.

I got tagged for a 45 in a 30, but there is not a single warning sign.
Is this illegal, does it infringe on the rights to know when we are being watched...is a posting required,...can this help me get the ticket thrown out in court?

HELlllllp!!!!

Jumbia
This ranks right up there with "Can I get pregnant from a toilet seat?"

No, there is no law that requires a warning that radar is being run, just like there is no law that requires a stakeout is in progress or that you are being bugged or that you are the suspect in a crime. :rolleyes:

Y

ylen13

will have to disagree with above poster somewhat. It depends on your local laws and how judges ruled on such cases. In some cities you do in some you don't, so it all depends on your local laws.

Jumbia

Where would I look to find this information?

California.

Where would I find this information?? Superior court? Whom should I ask?

And to the pregnancy and toilet seat response, there sometimes are laws that fall under the "Civilians have the right to know when they are being observed", that is why unmarked cars cannot give traffic tickets....by your "logic" they still could use unmarked cars.

Bugging houses requires a warrent.

Why do you post on topics you don't know the answer to?

What kind of doctor are you? Podiatrist, chiropracter?? Dentist? Piled High and deep having done a discertation on the lint in your navel?

Cheers

Last edited:
K

Kwater

For what it is worth, in the state of Georgia there are laws requiring the public be put on Notice and that "SPEED CHECKED BY DETECTION DEVICES" signs be posted at every county border and city limits, and most have them. Unfortunately the Georgia Court of Appeals has already ruled numerous times that incomplete compliance with this law is not grounds for dismissal of charges.

Georgia has some incredibly strict laws regarding the use of speed detection devices within certain limits of certain signs however and that does hold up in court. The local cops are always violating those laws. I have numerous pictures of them doing it in my book. Sorry, that doesn't help you much in California.

Kenneth Waters,

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

Are you kidding me? No one has answered the question as put. The plain fact is that NO STATE requires that you be warned a speed trap is present. THAT was the original quesiton. :rolleyes:

K

Kwater

<<<The plain fact is that NO STATE requires that you be warned a speed trap is present>>>

Obviously Dr., you know nothing about Georgia law. That is the plain FACT. Thats why so many of you get mowed down like tall grass by the prosecutor.

Kenneth Waters

BelizeBreeze

Kwater said:
<<<The plain fact is that NO STATE requires that you be warned a speed trap is present>>>

Obviously Dr., you know nothing about Georgia law. That is the plain FACT. Thats why so many of you get mowed down like tall grass by the prosecutor.

Kenneth Waters

I suggest you first remove your advertising from this site before it is removed for you, then cite exactly the Georgia statute that pertains to this posters question. And I'm talking about the statutory reference. not your interpretation.

K

Kwater

<<<I suggest you first remove your advertising from this site before it is removed for you, then cite exactly the Georgia statute that pertains to this posters question. And I'm talking about the statutory reference. not your interpretation.>>>

Here ya go Doc.

Kenneth Waters

OCGA 40-14-6

<http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-14-6>

(a) Each county, municipality, college, and university using speed detection devices shall erect signs on every highway which comprises a part of the state highway system at that point on the highway which intersects the corporate limits of the municipality, the county boundary, or the boundary of the college or university campus. Such signs shall be at least 24 by 30 inches in area and shall warn approaching motorists that speed detection devices are being employed. No such devices shall be used within 500 feet of any such warning sign erected pursuant to this subsection.

(b) In addition to the signs required under subsection (a) of this Code section, each county, municipality, college, and university using speed detection devices shall erect speed limit warning signs on every highway which comprises a part of the state highway system at that point on the highway which intersects the corporate limits of the municipality, the county boundary, or the boundary of the college or university campus. Such signs shall be at least 24 by 30 inches in area, shall warn approaching motorists of changes in the speed limit, shall be visible plainly from every lane of traffic, shall be viewable in any traffic conditions, and shall not be placed in such a manner that the view of such sign is subject to being obstructed by any other vehicle on such highway. No such devices shall be used within 500 feet of any such warning sign erected pursuant to this subsection.

rmet4nzkx

While California may in some places post signs informing you that radar is used in enforcement, it is not required, just as they may post a sign telling you that they use airplanes in the enforcement of speed laws etc.

Please remember they do have posted speed signs which may or not be contested in court.

Here is a link to all the California laws, I suggest you look there for your answers, check Vehicle code and then use the search term Radar, please read every law and related code, then post back with what you learned.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html
Have a nice day :)

BelizeBreeze

Kwater said:
<<<I suggest you first remove your advertising from this site before it is removed for you, then cite exactly the Georgia statute that pertains to this posters question. And I'm talking about the statutory reference. not your interpretation.>>>

Here ya go Doc.

Kenneth Waters

OCGA 40-14-6
I know the law in Georgia son. And now show me in that statute where it requires that the police are to notify drivers that a radar is being RUN, as was the question on the table.

You can't because the ONLY requirement in Georgia statues is that the radar may not be used outside of 500 feet of a sign designating that radar is used within the city limits. NOT that it is being used during that time.

Stick to bilking people out of their money for false information. I'll stick to the law.

Oh, and by the way, where is your check for $250 for advertising on this forum?

K

Kwater

<<<I know the law in Georgia son. And now show me in that statute where it requires that the police are to notify drivers that a radar is being RUN, as was the question on the table.

You can't because the ONLY requirement in Georgia statues is that the radar may not be used outside of 500 feet of a sign designating that radar is used within the city limits. NOT that it is being used during that time.

Stick to bilking people out of their money for false information. I'll stick to the law.

Oh, and by the way, where is your check for $250 for advertising on this forum?

Apparently you don't know the law in Georgia at all Dad. You might want to try reading applicable Case law as to what the Georgia Court of Appeals has stated in regards to those signs. There opinion is the only ine that matters, not yours.

Kenneth Waters

Jumbia

I still would like to know what type of &quot;Doctor&quot; he is

With that many posts on topics he is ignorant on trying to have the last and final word, he can't be a real doctor. I am just curious what type of doctor he is, or at least claiming to be.

Please answer that question.

Happy Trails

Kwater said:
Comprehension is not your strong point, is it?

Just for your FYI, BelizeBreeze is not a Doctor, Dr. John Becker is the author of the quote he used in his signature line.

I agree with the others, giving information out to people who are not from your state, doesn't help the original poster. It does appear that you are trying to promote yourself.

You better fix it. I see Mary is on your trail.

CdwJava

Okay ... back to the topic at hand ...

There is no law in California that requires signs be posted warning travellers that radar will be enforced. However, many local courts want to see that signs are posted before they will move forward on a radar case - my county is one of those. And from what I understand, there are a good number of counties that are that way.

However, in those counties where the court wants to see radar signs, the officers don't tend to run radar where it is not posted as it leads to an automatic dismissal. Keep in mind that if you want to roll the dice and fight the citation hoping that you can win on this technicality, if you fight the citation and lose, traffic school is rarely an option.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">