• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a minimum amount of time to pay a citation in Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FtB

This occurred in Travis County, Texas. I received a ticket for having an expired registration. The state trooper said if I get it renewed I can show up to court with proof and I will only have to pay a $20 administrative fee. He also said to wait at least 20 days for the system to file the citation. I received the ticket 06/05, got my vehicle inspected and renewed the registration within the next few days then went on orders for military training until the end of the month. I got home 06/30, the citation made it into the system 06/29 and I had to appear in court or mail in my plea and $20 fee by 07/05. So I effectively I had only 7 days to give my plea, which is enough time but when I got home from being away from any source of outside communication and work I ended up forgetting about my citation. I've also never been given such short amount of time to pay a ticket.

Is there a minimum amount of time given to the defendant to plea or pay their citation? I showed up to court three days after my initial date and they said I ! had to pay the full fee. I'm out of the state for work for the next five months and was told that's too long to be able to meet with a prosecutor. I understand this and five months is a long time to delay this simple citation, however is it a possibility to meet with a prosecutor five months later or do they have a minimum amount of time it needs to be taken care of in?

Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You admit that it was enough time and that you just forgot. Now you want to blame the system?

On top of that I suppose you forgot to renew your registration in time to avoid all of this to begin with.

I've never heard of some minimum time that defendant's have to be given. You obviously already spoke to the court personnel about this - abide by what they're telling you.

FtB

I'm not trying to blame the system; basic reading comprehension will show that. I'm trying to see if I can work around paying another $120, since what they're doing seems like a very predatory practice to gain more money.

Do you know what happens when you assume? I'm sure you do, you don't seem that unintelligent. I didn't forget to renew my registration. I was out of state for over a year for training and in the week I was home I received this ticket.

Now to your third point; thank you, that is a reasonable answer and is really all I needed. I understand it's easy to get on a high horse when you're behind a computer but I really hope you're not like this when people around you ask for an explanation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You had 30 days from the date of the citation to pay.

I would suggest that you learn to set up calendar reminders on your phone, computer, tablet, whatever.

ETA: When you speak to the clerk (IN PERSON), bring a copy of your orders with you. That *might* be an "out" for you.

FtB

You had 30 days from the date of the citation to pay.

I would suggest that you learn to set up calendar reminders on your phone, computer, tablet, whatever.

ETA: When you speak to the clerk (IN PERSON), bring a copy of your orders with you. That *might* be an "out" for you.
That's the problem though, I didn't have 30 days since it only made it into the system seven days before my court date. Which is why I was hoping there was a minimum set. The clerk didn't look twice at my orders so that's a no go. Thanks for your response.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I didn't forget to renew my registration. I was out of state for over a year for training...
Many states allow you to renew online. It sounds like you're not a stranger to being away. If your state does not allow that then I would think you'd have a local friend or neighbor do it for you.

Many states also give statutory extensions to service members who are out of state for license and registration expiration. I don't know about yours.

Rank has its privileges....

I'm not trying to blame the system; basic reading comprehension will show that. I'm trying to see if I can work around paying another $120, since what they're doing seems like a very predatory practice to gain more money.

Do you know what happens when you assume? I'm sure you do, you don't seem that unintelligent. I didn't forget to renew my registration. I was out of state for over a year for training and in the week I was home I received this ticket.

Now to your third point; thank you, that is a reasonable answer and is really all I needed. I understand it's easy to get on a high horse when you're behind a computer but I really hope you're not like this when people around you ask for an explanation.
A side from the excellent advice and spot on observation made by our board members, I would add perhaps it would be useful if you where to designate a trusted friend or family member to take care of these unexpected annoyances for you.
Thank you for your service.

..____________________
~ Free advice is just that. Free.
Since it didn't cost you a dime you're welcome to stick it somewhere for future reference...:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">