• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third-Party Lien?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tPaine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

In July of this year I went to Traffic Court in the Fairfax County General District Court of Virginia to fight a speeding ticket. I lost my case and was sentenced to pay my normal fine. I was then told I had to pay court costs as well. Seeing as I live in Washington, DC and was heading off to college, I chose not to pay my $154 fine because when I called they said the only way anything bad would happen was if I was driving in Virginia, which I no longer would be doing.

Recently, I received a piece of mail from the state of Virginia saying that they were going to impose a "Third-Party Lien" and possibly go into my bank account(s) to get their money.

How "possible" is it? Is it definitely going to happen? And if I pay my dues by the date they gave me (December 9th, 2009) do I not have to worry about any of this?

I_Got_Banned

Well, you can wait and find out the hard way about how "possible" it is OR you can simply take advantage of the opportunity they're giving you to take care of it and be done.

Also keep in mind that DC & Virginia are both memebers in the NRVC AND the DLC by which your driving privilege can get suspended in DC for non payment and they may choose to report it to Virginia which in turn, will suspend you driver's license there too.

So aagin, you can do it the easy way or you can do it the hard way... You choose!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">