• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Three HOV Violations on LIE in Nassau County, NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acorange

This past March, I received three moving violations while moving out of an HOV lane on a Sunday morning on the eastbound Long Island Expressway between exits 33 and 34 in Nassau County, NY. The exact tickets I received are as follows:

MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY HOV TO LEFT LANE (Law 1128A)
FAILED TO USE DESIGNATED LANE TO EXIT PROPERLY (Law 1128C)
DROVE ACROSS HAZARD MARKING OUT OF HOV LANE (Law 1128D)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't HOV lane violations only in effect on weekdays? I don't understand why I got these tickets on a Sunday.

Also, I don't understand why I got three different tickets for the same incident. What exactly is the distinction between these violations?

The most mysterious violation is the 'MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY' one (1128A). What exactly does that mean, and what exactly constitutes 'moving unsafely' out of a lane? When moving out the lane, I checked my mirrors and signaled like I always do -- make no mistake about that!

On a side note, the officer didn't turn on his lights and didn't start pursuing me until I was in the center lane, which is two lanes right of the HOV lane. I also saw him pulling another driver over almost immediately after he gave me my tickets -- looks like he was on the prowl that morning!

Does anyone have any advice as far as plea bargaining, getting an attorney, etc.? My court hearing is set for this Wed., 5/28 at Lake Success Village Court in Nassau County. I only have one moving violation on my driving record, a 3-point 'FAILED TO YIELD' ticket which I received last May 2013.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm guessing he wrote you three to pretty much guarantee that you'll be convicted of one.

It really should be an 1110(a) - disobey a traffic control device.

Even though the HOV part of it is only in effect weekdays, you CANNOT cross into or out of the HOV lane except at designated points. There are pavement marking and signs which prohibit doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">