• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket from 5 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vhoercher

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband, a friend and I all received ticket summons' this past week for tickets that occured in 2001. I called to find out what this summons was for and I was told it was for a speeding ticket that occured in 2001. To the best of my recollection, I do not remember getting this ticket, as I have never gotten a speeding ticket before and my driving record is close to impeccable. It was noted that I had an original court appearance scheduled in 2002, and I had "failed to appear". I do not recall having a court date at this time either, especially for someone who has really never gotten anything more then a parking ticket. Is there a statute of limitations on this type of ticket. Because I can not see how a court could expect someone to recall any issues or details of a situation when it dates back more then 5 years ago. And I found it very odd that there were others that are receiving the same notices! It seems to me that my local county is trying to make up for a budget deficit! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

racer72

There is no SOL in your case. The only SOL that applies is the time from when the misdeed was committed and the time you are charged. In the case of most traffic tickets, this generally happens in minutes. You need to talk to a local attorney to discuss your options.

sukharev

Perhaps it's a computer glitch? Call the court to find out why all of you received the tickets. Also, ask if they have original copy of the ticket - they should, and you should be entitled to receiving it through Freedom of Information Act request. If this ticket looks correct in every detail it has (such as your name, race, etc., car description and other details), then the next step is to find out what is better, to just pay it or try to fight it (by hiring the lawyer).

Regardless, you (and your husband and friend) are in immediate danger of your license being suspended, so do find out if it has already happened. If it is, stop driving until the matter is resolved, and in such case it's probably best to just pay the ticket and licence renewal fees (do find out the process in detail by calling court and DMV).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">