• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket from "96" that isnt mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gum_Drop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I am unable to obtain a LA drivers license, because I have an unpaid traffic ticket from 96. However I was not living in this state at that time. I had moved to AR.

I have a feeling that it is something my sister had done. As it wouldnt be the first time she got pulled over and gave my information instead of hers.

When I came to LA for a visit in 2000 I had to go in front of a judge to prove that I could NOT have been arrested for various things, as I was in another state giving birth. I only knew about the warrant because I went on a date with a Police officer and he jokingly said I better run your name to make sure you are not some wanted felon, only to find that I was.. Made for an interesting evening for sure.. LOL Considering the charges, prostitution, resisting arrest, battery of an officer, an possession of a few different drugs.

I am also baffled as the lady at the DMV said I had a warrant out for my arrest, however I was pulled over 2 weeks ago for speeding and there was no mention of it.

At this point aside from paying over $1000 in fees and fines, what can I do??

What proof if any could I be able to muster up 13 years later? I have already thought to call AR DMV And request a copy of my driving record, or date that I obtained my AR license, but I have purged out of there system. Other things that I could think of to prove I didnt live in LA wouldnt help until after the ticket date, or have also been purged.

Thanks in advance

Maestro64

Interesting that AR has cleared your driver license history but kept the ticket information for all these years. When the government feels they are owed money they never forget.

The other option is to show from you current state that you had a license and residency in that state when this so call ticket happen. Since it is illegal to have license in two states at once, at that point they would have to show you did in fact a had license in AR at the time the ticket occurred.

Also, it could be stolen identity issue... I think if you show you were licensed in another state and lived there that have to accept it was not you who was issued a license.

But the court could ignore that and make you pay the money they want.

Gum_Drop

Sorry for any confusion.

I live in LA currently. I lived in LA from 93- 96 (mayish) the ticket was in Aug of 96. LA is the one who says I still owe them Money. AR is where I was living at the time.

I cant prove I had an AR license at that time as they purge their info after 10 years.

I_Got_Banned

Considering the charges, prostitution, resisting arrest, battery of an officer, an possession of a few different drugs.
:eek:

I am also baffled as the lady at the DMV said I had a warrant out for my arrest, however I was pulled over 2 weeks ago for speeding and there was no mention of it.
Officers do not run your license each and every time you're pulled over... Unless they suspect something out of the ordinary or you give them a reason to find the need to investigate whether you have any warrants and/or are on probation or parole, then they'll just issue the citation, give out the warning... etc.

What proof if any could I be able to muster up 13 years later? I have already thought to call AR DMV And request a copy of my driving record, or date that I obtained my AR license, but I have purged out of there system. Other things that I could think of to prove I didn't live in LA wouldn't help until after the ticket date, or have also been purged.
Thanks in advance
Even if you can prove that you had moved to AR, established residency, became employed... etc, you always had the option to hop in you vehicle, head south and end up in LA... Get cited, hop back in your vehicle again and head north back to AR... :(

Gum_Drop

Would the judge take a letter from my sister saying it was her who got the ticket?

It would have to be a letter as she is currently a guest of the state for a 2nd time. With another 5 yr stay. :(

And not even sure if she would admit to it.

I have been screwed over by her too often, recently I had to pay upwards of $4K because of something else she did in my name.

I am just tired of paying for her mistakes.

Maestro64

Okay, now I got it, Lived in LA with a LA license, moved to AR got an AR license there, had left AR some time ago and AR have deleted all their records about you being there so you can not prove you was never in LA during the time of the ticket.

I assume the ticket was written against you LA license number you had at the time you lived there, even thought it might not have been valid anymore sine AR most likely made you forfeit your LA license at the time. The problem back then is AR probably never notified LA that you forfeited your license to them as they were required. So LA at the time just assumed you were still a valid license holder since it was only a few months form the time you left.

So did you sister have a copy of your license. I assume you two look similar since the officer probably would have notice the picture did not match the person.

You would not happen to still have a old copy of the AR license at that time. I still have a few of mind that were not forfeit when I moved.

Last edited:

Gum_Drop

no I dont. yes we look similar enough that a police officer may have not noticed. And yes she did have a copy of my drivers license. Not by permission, but by theft.

I_Got_Banned

Would the judge take a letter from my sister saying it was her who got the ticket?

It would have to be a letter as she is currently a guest of the state for a 2nd time. With another 5 yr stay. :(

And not even sure if she would admit to it.

I have been screwed over by her too often, recently I had to pay upwards of $4K because of something else she did in my name.

I am just tired of paying for her mistakes.
You could go through the trouble of convincing her... but really, what impact could it have on the judge?

I mean, what is she gonna say in the letter?

"... I was the one who received the citation in question and decided to lie and use my sister's name instead of mine because I didn't want to get into trouble... So yes, your honor, I lied then... but I am telling the truth now. Honset!

Oh, and please know that I wouuld have loved to come in and given this testimony in person but I'm kind of tied up right now.... In fact you might remember telling me that you don't ever want to see me in your courtroom ever again, so it's a good thing I am locked up."

It might cause you more grief than benefit!

Maestro64

Well, I would get as much documentation you can get about living somewhere else, and the fact you had to clear up a previous incident with your sister stealing your identity and present this to the court. The fact you had a prior issue with her and the court had to clear it up might go in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">