• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in AZ, live in CA, want to fight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spawn_x

What is the name of your state? Ticket in Arizona, live in California

This is for a bud of mine (not computer literate)..

He got a speeding ticket in Arizona but lives in California. Says he was not going speeding (was going VERY close to 75 in 75 zone, ticket is for 83) and wants to fight it.

What options does he have?

Can he have the ticket transfered to a Los Angeles court and fight it here? Or not because the officer will not be present? Or is his only choice to do it by mail?

Tried telling to just pay it because it'll be a small fine (only what, 8 miles over speed limit on the freeway), but he's determined to fight it and asked me get some info.

Thank you.

L

loocpoc

"Can he have the ticket transfered to a Los Angeles court and fight it here? Or not because the officer will not be present? Or is his only choice to do it by mail?"

If he wishes to have a court fight he will need to go back to AZ. Otherwise he will either have to pay it or he will have a warrant for his arrest. Since the jurisdiction is different than the one he lives in, he will need to fight it in the originating jurisdiction.

TYRIS

spawn_x said:
What is the name of your state? Ticket in Arizona, live in California

This is for a bud of mine (not computer literate)..

He got a speeding ticket in Arizona but lives in California. Says he was not going speeding (was going VERY close to 75 in 75 zone, ticket is for 83) and wants to fight it.

What options does he have?

Can he have the ticket transfered to a Los Angeles court and fight it here? Or not because the officer will not be present? Or is his only choice to do it by mail?

Tried telling to just pay it because it'll be a small fine (only what, 8 miles over speed limit on the freeway), but he's determined to fight it and asked me get some info.

Thank you.

-california has it set up where you can do traffic court by mail (i forget the technical/court term for it). basically you write out your argument in letter format and submit it to the judge. the officer does the same. the judge will then determine a verdict. you may want to have your friend check to see if arizona has something similar.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">