• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for cutting around cars in an emergency lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The_Atl

Atlanta, Georgia
Hi, I live in Atlanta, Ga. and last Friday, I was in my exit lane (It's exit only) ready to get off. However, on Friday afternoons the traffic is very heavy, and many cars from the main lanes pull over into the exit only lane, race 5 cars ahead, then put on their turn signals to get back over. Many people whose exit it is pull around these cars in the emergency lane since the people that use it as their "passing" lane can take what seems like forever when you get back over. Well, a state trooper was on me this time and gave me the ticket. Fine, OK, though I didn't know it was a state law, I accept the ticket, I was wrong and am ready to pay the thing. I've had maybe 5 tickets in 40 years of driving, so it's not the kind of matter I'm used to and I've always paid those by mail. So, I call the automated court number and the voice says this ticket can't be paid by mail and I have to appear in court. Does anyone happen to know why this has to be done by court appearance? It certainly seems less dangerous than speeding or running a red light.

Last edited:

The_Atl

back again

Since the last post, I've checked the court pages for Atlanta and this is indeed not typically a court appearance type of ticket. It's going to be 250 bucks but I know there is little I can do about that. I just can't understand why I have to appear.

Antigone*

Since the last post, I've checked the court pages for Atlanta and this is indeed not typically a court appearance type of ticket. It's going to be 250 bucks but I know there is little I can do about that. I just can't understand why I have to appear.
um...maybe they just want to see your pretty face???:)

Have you tried calling them and asking?

HomeGuru

**A: the court has a few questions for you.

proud_parent

Georgia is one of a few states that received a grant from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to fund a Targeting Agressive Cars and Trucks (TACT) initiative. The program aims to reduce crashes by cracking down on risky driving behaviors.

Behaviors specifically targeted include excessive speed, improper passing, reckless driving, driving across the gore or in a median, driving in the emergency lane, following too closely, failing to signal when changing lanes, and operating commercial vehicles without a valid CDL.

Perhaps the mandatory court appearance is part of stepped-up enforcement in conjunction with this program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">