• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for Driving w/o Licence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crazycanuck

YOUR STATE NAME - YOUR STATE NAME - BC This is a ticket from the USA.
Although I am Canadian, this is an offence from the state of Washington.
Several years ago, during the course of my business I went to cross the border at Sumas, during the crossing, my licence was run-through a computer that showed that the province of BC had just that day cancelled my licence in Canada. Therefore - in the US as well. The customs officer then left for several minutes. The second officer and I were left clueless to his whereabouts. It was then that she let me go back to Canada. Weeks passed and I received a letter in the mail to the effect that I was a wanted man in Wa. and that there was a warrant for my arrest in that state.
The question is this: Is there an expiry date for warrants? If so how long? And if I were to cross the border in any other state will that state transport me to Wa. for a trial??
Pls help - I am sure that the letter stated the year 2002 and I wanted to go to Disneyland this year.
TIA

D

davelu99

Customs will run you and a warrant will come up. There is NO EXPIRATION on warrants in most US states. However, since DWL (Driving Without Licence) is a relatively minor offense, Washington State will probably not pay the money it would cost to extradite you from another state. However, it is VERY likely that US Customs will not allow you to enter the US with a warrant outstanding. My advice is this - call the court that has jurisdiction over this case (it should be on your letter). They should give you a preliminary hearing date (this is simply where you plead guilty or not guilty). I would advise pleading guilty. The fines are lower if you do rather than being found guilty after a trial. Most likely, you'll be able to pay your fine right then and there, and be done with it. If you want to go to Disneyland, this should be taken care of at least a month or two in advance to make sure all the computer systems have time to update themselves. Sorry, but this is the best I could come up with... :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">