• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket by mail in Virginia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bob2274

Recently in Madison or Green county Virginia (not sure which), I drove through a construction site. The flagman stopped me and told me I was driving too fast and was going to report me to the state police. Can I receive any kind of a ticket by mail based on something like this? There was not a policemen present.

Bob

FlyingRon

It's possible, but he'd have to appear in court if you contested it. "Report" probably meant tell the police relatively quickly.

It would be a hard sell in court. A cop can get away as an "expert" witness judging speed. Some VDOT contractor stooge isn't as credible.

randomguy

You should have given him a middle finger and told him go ahead. Who are they going to issue the ticket to, register owner? It's not like parking ticket which makes owner automatically responsible for the action of the vehicle. There is nothing flagman can do about it. Ignore him next time.

FlyingRon

Actually, they could (but in this case it's unlikely). For example, school bus drivers are authorized to file complaints on drivers who pass the stopped bus. The owner is cited and he has to argue otherwise if he wasn't driving.

randomguy

Actually, they could (but in this case it's unlikely). For example, school bus drivers are authorized to file complaints on drivers who pass the stopped bus. The owner is cited and he has to argue otherwise if he wasn't driving.
The only time it really works is if they have you on video. Otherwise chances are bus driver either saw your face for 1/2 of a sec or not at all and can't say under cross that it was you driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">