• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket with Mandatory court (30 mph over the limit) W.P.B. FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terrencemclean

florida. i received a ticket saying i am doing 73mph in a 25mph zone (thru the sunpass lane on the turnpike) ... i wanna know if i need a lawyer and what to expect if i get a lawyer and if i dont get a lawyer.

i was not doing 73mph since im driving a ford windstar with a transmission problem. the overdrive on my van does not work. therefore its impossible for me to drive 50mph without my van overheating and caseing serious damage to my engine.

99 ford windstars come with 4 speed automatic with overdrive.

at most, 50mph without overdrive, the engine will rev at 3000+rpm

at 73mph, without overdrive, the engine will be at around 3700+ to 4000+ RPM

how is the world can i drive with that amount of RPM without my engine going BOOM!!!

this is not all TALK, i have done a diagnostics at Aamco transmissions and have a report saying my overdrive doesn;t work and recomends my driving speed of not more than 50mph. and in a few weeks i will also have a receipt for the purchace of a new transmission.

bottom line..

can i present this info to the judge by myself, or is it wise to get a lawyer?

The Occultist

How fast do you believe you were going? How did the officer obtain your speed? Nearly 50mph above the posted speed limit is usually not something an officer would screw up...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Additionally, it is VERY easy for your engine to handle 70mph in 3rd (ie: not overdrive). In fact, if you were towing, you are specifically instructed NOT to drive in overdrive. 3,700-4,000 rpm is well withing the allowable range for an engine to run (heck, I routinely push 5,000 rpm on a V6 getting on the freeway.)
I seriously doubt that the excuse of "My tranny couldn't handle it for me to drive that fast" will fly. You need to find other ways of approaching this violation if you really feel you weren't going that fast.

EDIT: To answer your actual question, you really should get a lawyer. You will get chewed up and spit out if you come in to court with this.

terrencemclean

How fast do you believe you were going? How did the officer obtain your speed? Nearly 50mph above the posted speed limit is usually not something an officer would screw up...
its laser, he was on the other side of the toll plaza, on the ticket says 750 feet. this is 8AM in the morning, (lots of traffic) i think i went thru at 45 to 50.

zigner. how fast u "think" my van can drive is your opinion, so what does that matter if there is FACTS that can prove otherwise?? isn't that how the 'system' works?

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9403/tollxd2.jpg

racer72

Overdrive in vehicles is a recent addition, for years the top gear was a 1:1 ratio, the same as your van in drive. Cars regularly could exceed speeds much higher than 70 mph. My wife had a Ford Taurus, which happens to have the basic drivetrain as the Windstar, and I could drive it well over 70 in drive. Your drawing proves nothing. You're 2 for 2 in the lame excuse department, want to try for a third?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">