• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket not filled out by officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjones6123

What is the name of your state? PA
I wanted to clarify my situation. I am a PA Resident. I recived a notice from Baltimore City to appear on January 9, 2006 for a hearing against me for reckless driving. I was very confused. I was pulled over in Baltimore one night when I was there working. I was lost and I when making a turn a went up onto a curb. THe officer had me get out of my car. She asked why I hit the curb. I explained to her that I was lost and I had no clue where I was going. It seemed like an unsafe neighborhood. Anyway, She came back and handed me a blank ticket and told me to leave. I just diregarded it because there was nothing on it at all but her signature! I didn't respond because I did not think that it was a ticket....What should I do. I am in Pittsburgh, PA which is 4 hours away from Baltimore, MD. Any suggestions??

Last edited:

seniorjudge

The ticket she turned into the court was filled out.

Pay or there will be all kinds of nasty consequences, including not being able to renew your operator's license.

Sabor

ouch

Well wreckles driving is a pretty strong penalty. I suggest that if y ou have the money to, have lawyer fight it. The fact he did not fill it out may be used to discredit the officer but some jurisdications to do not require signing. You need to investigate via google and city hall this situation.

seniorjudge

Sabor said:
Well wreckles driving is a pretty strong penalty. I suggest that if y ou have the money to, have lawyer fight it. The fact he did not fill it out may be used to discredit the officer but some jurisdications to do not require signing. You need to investigate via google and city hall this situation.
Actually, wreckless driving is wonderful.

Reckless driving, however, is pretty nasty.

Sabor

heh

LOL. Its a cold day here hands are choppy and no spell check. Interesting , how much the options of MS Word auto correct has impacted my abilities :)
Btw, if you have traffic school as a option i do suggest, given you loose your written declaration. SOME courts allow traffic school after contesting a violation. Determined on the judge. All in all your blank ticket will not get you to far, only MAYBE if you miss the date, and state you didnt sign to appear on that date? not sure though. google.com your county.

bjones6123 said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I received a citation for Reckless driving while working in Baltimore 2 months ago....I am a Pa resident. However I did not sign the ticket and the officer did not fill the ticket out other than circle the citation and sign it herself. Nothing at all! I just disregarded the ticket until I received a letter in the mail with a court hearing for JAn.9th 2006. What should I do? Is this even a valid citation?? It's a blank ticket.....Please help!
You did not say who sent the notice of hearing. If it's from Baltimore, you will need a Maryland lawyer. If it's from PA, probably the hearing is for some local judge to ascertain whether your license will be revoked (which he is sure to do)....for neglecting to properly respond in Maryland. Best you can hope for from that source is anything up to 90 days to fix the deal in Maryland. Either way, ignoring this matter will suck you into a bottomless pit of bureaucratic hell. A lawyer is strongly recommended, and quickly.

Sabor

?

I am a bit curious on this situation. The poster here stated he threw away the ticket and just received a hearing for Jan 9th. Now is it possible this hearing is the date that was on the original notice to appear he did not sign? And not a hearing at all? (misworded?) In Los Angeles area, if you disregard a ticket, a automatic notice is sent to your address. As a security precausion to your address stating your notice to appear date. If, however, one is to miss that date, another letter is automatically generated stating the Failure to Appear. At which time a potential suspended license and fee/collections, is noted.

In the state the poster is in, did he just receive his notice to appear? (Jan9th from 2 months is very possible). Or in this case does a reckless driving charge usually end with licence revokation in this state?
Additionally, if the person in question did not sign his notice to appear, or receive a courtesy notice, and this is a hearing date to discuss why he missed the date, could he not use this as defense to avoid license revokation in PA? Thanks.

Sabor said:
I am a bit curious on this situation. The poster here stated he threw away the ticket and just received a hearing for Jan 9th. Now is it possible this hearing is the date that was on the original notice to appear he did not sign? And not a hearing at all? .....
In the state the poster is in, did he just receive his notice to appear? (Jan9th from 2 months is very possible). Or in this case does a reckless driving charge usually end with licence revokation in this state?
Additionally, if the person in question did not sign his notice to appear, or receive a courtesy notice, and this is a hearing date to discuss why he missed the date, could he not use this as defense to avoid license revokation in PA? Thanks.
States like to have some form of bond or other assurance you will preform as demanded by a citation. To get that, they can do any of several things (like keeping you in jail, keeping your driver's licence, etc), but ordinatily they just get your signature, which is like your word that you'll respond. When the signature is absent, that makes no real difference. They know where you live, and have the power to come get you. But, when you live in a different state, they must follow a different course. The citation-issuing state usually infoms your licence-issuing state (state of residence) that you've violated the law and did not do as ordered on the citation. Then, your home state sends you a notice that your licence is about to be revoked, unless you request a hearing and convince a judge that you did as you were supposed to do (he don't care whether the original citation was bogus, your traffic violation, whether you signed a ticket or anything like that). This local judge will hear only whether you took care of the ticket, by paying up or getting it dismissed. If you haven't, about the best you can get from that source is a little more time (they don't like to make that more than 90 days) to take care of business in the other state. When that time goes by, if you can't convince the guy you responded properly, your driver's licence is revoked.

In this case, we still have not been informed as to which state has him on the hook to appear at a hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">