• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for not stopping or wearing contacts, please read and HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpino91

I was stopped at a neighborhood intersection by a sheriff in San Antonio, TX. At the stop sign you can only see to the right unless you move forward even more. There is a fence on the left side and in order to see other cars you must move forward . While inching forward to see if there were any cars coming a car sped by very quickly and startled me so I stepped on my brakes. I was still in my street and I was not sticking out. The car came so close to the edge that I got scared and stopped moving forward because they were also moving very fast in a neighborhood. The car slammed on its brakes and reversed, and it was a sheriff. He pulled me over saying that I was going so fast I almost t-boned him and I was not going to stop. I tried to explain to him that you are unable to see and he said that he could see just fine without letting me talk, I also told him I did stop and I stopped again once you sped by. And I assume me saying that he was speeding made him angry because after that he seemed pretty certain I was getting a ticket. He then started asking me if this was even my vehicle and if I even had insurance (which it was and I do) he was looking through my windows and kept saying I was trying to cause and accident. He then left and came back to the car and asked if I had glasses on I said no I have contacts (it does say on my driver's license that I need glasses or contacts) and he said well I cannot see them and then walked away. Contacts are clear and are very hard to see unless you are up close. Which he did not do, he was not standing very close at all. Once he came back to the car I tried to say Sir I have my contact case that is empty and I can show you my contacts, and all he said was here is a ticket for not stopping and not wearing glasses you need to be careful you are going to crash into someone and walked away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This just happened this morning so I have about a month and a half until my court date.

OHRoadwarrior

Apparently he was very close if he looking through your window. He was looking for "plain view" items with no problem. Are you insinuating with some basis of fact the sheriff has vision problems? Apparently, you violated B by not following C. As you stated, you were startled and had to stab on the brakes.

Sec. 544.010. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS. (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.

cpino91

Not sure how that would be insinuating he has vision problems? You just made that up on your own!
He was no where close enough to see if I had contacts in my eyes. Have you ever seen contacts on someone's eyes, you have to get pretty close to see them. When you inch forward the car is moving and if a car comes zooming by you are not going to keep moving forward that would be just stupid. So you are saying that if you cannot see one way you should not move forward to see if a car is coming? I should just take my chances, huh? I had already stopped at the line before I moved forward because there were cars passing from the right side that I could clearly see.

OHRoadwarrior

Not sure how that would be insinuating he has vision problems? You just made that up on your own!
He was no where close enough to see if I had contacts in my eyes. Have you ever seen contacts on someone's eyes, you have to get pretty close to see them. When you inch forward the car is moving and if a car comes zooming by you are not going to keep moving forward that would be just stupid. So you are saying that if you cannot see one way you should not move forward to see if a car is coming? I should just take my chances, huh? I had already stopped at the line before I moved forward because there were cars passing from the right side that I could clearly see.
I have 20/20 vision. I have never had a problem determining whether one is wearing contacts. You might generate some sympathy and advise if you display a link to the intersection on Google.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">