• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in one state, license in another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelly8jones

I have a Massachusetts license, but live in Colorado. My car is registered in Colorado, and my insurance is in Colorado. I received a ticket, in Colorado, and the ticket has my middle name listed as my last name, and my last name doesn't appear anywhere on the ticket. According to the last response, I can't get out of the ticket because of the error in the last name, but do you think that my insurance in Colorado would pick it up and raise my rates? Does Massachusetts share that information, and if so, is it possible it wouldn't carry over because of the name error?

justalayman

First, it sounds like you do not have a legal driver's license in any state.
If your residence is Colorado, you cannot legally hold a Mass DL

Next, is your DL number on the ticket? that's enough for the info to be assigned to you. Since it will be on your Mass DL record, many states belong to a database that would make it probable any entity in Colarado will eventually end up with it.

You might want to talk with your Col. ins co. .Without a valid DL they can refuse any claim you may have while that is the situation.

shelly8jones

My husband is in the military, so I'm allowed to have an out-of-state license. Do you know if all states share information, and if not, if Massachusetts is one of them?

justalayman

shelly8jones said:
My husband is in the military, so I'm allowed to have an out-of-state license. Do you know if all states share information, and if not, if Massachusetts is one of them?
Ah I see, you are a Mass resident. Why is your car registered in Colorado? Should it not be registered in your state of residence? All military members I have known had all such things through the home state.

Honestly I don't recall which states are tied into the databases. It seems like there were only two that weren't but I don't remember which two.

Since the Bowl is on many posters are not hanging around here. Keep checking back. I know there a couple of folks that do know the specifics.

Shelly,

Most states subscribe to a thing called "Non-resident Violator's Compact". If that is the case with Mass and Colorado, and you do not attend to the citation, either through the court or paying the ticket, whatever address you have in Mass will be receiving a notice from the DMV there, to the effect that the state will enforce by revoking your driver's license. As to the name mix up, that will not save your bacon, so long as the correct driver's licence is noted and your signature is on the citation. Regarding insurance, companies have requirements about notification in the case of change in your driving record. Most will ask the question on renewal notices about such a change...."have you gotten any tickets?" sort of thing. If you do not answer truthfully it alters the company's liability if you should have cause to file a claim and they discover the falsity in your answer.

sukharev

All that nonsence aside, you will have a moving out-of-state violation on your record, and have SDIP points in MA assessed, but this may have no effect on your insurance in CO. Since you don't have any choice, just wait and find out when it happens. Take care of the ticket, though, and try to negotiate the lower fine or non-moving violation, just to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">