• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket from other state has errors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gd7moe

What is the name of your state? Kansas

2 years ago I was issued a speeding ticket in TX while I was driving my sister's car w/ MO tags. I later was going to pay the ticket by mail, but I noticed that the ticket said I had a TX driver's license when in fact I have a KS driver's license and that I was driving a car w/ MI plates, also in error.

This made me question whether or not the officer made an error reading the radar gun.

I called the county where the court session had been scheduled, since I could not afford to take an out-of-state trip to appear at that time. They told me to send a letter to request an extension of the court date. I did so and included the details above in the letter.

I never heard anything back, and I never paid the ticket. Is there a warrant for my arrest? Will I have problems renewing my license in KS?

racer72

The answer to your first question is yes.

The Drivers License Compact require member states to report tickets received by motorist to the state where they received a license to drive so as to receive points and get an insurance hike. Also when a state suspends the license of a driver who is from out-of-state, the state where the motorist received a license to drive will also suspend their license as well.

Both states are members of the compact so the answer to your second question is yes.

G

gd7moe

Thanks for the reply. But I'm curious how KS would know I had a ticket if the ticket said I had a TX license? (which I didn't)

racer72

Was the DL number correct? Each state has their own method of generating DL numbers and from this they determine the actual state.

G

gd7moe

My DL number is my soc. sec. number. Don't some other states do this too?

racer72

Never heard of it done that way. I have been licensed in 3 states and none of them used any part of my SSN.

G

gd7moe

I believe MO started using SSN's before KS. But they offer a choice to use another number w/ the same no. of digits, as does KS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">