• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for passing a garbage truck??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aaronries

Melissa, Texas.

A small town police officer gave me a ticket for passing a garbage truck in a no-passing zone. The truck (one of those that has a lift that picks the plastic cans up and over the side) was at the beginning of its trash route along a 1.7 mile long no-passing zone and had about 16 receptacles to empty. As it stopped for the second time, I passed it on the left in the no-passing zone with a 35 mph speed limit. Keep in mind the no-passing zone was over 1.5 miles long. A cop ticketed me for it.
I have scoured the Tx transportation code for any information that might help me out here. I cannot find any thing in the code that pertains to this issue( in a way that helps me.) I'm going to take this to court, but I need to know if there is any law or precedent on which I could base my case, or if I just have to hope the judge will respect common sense. Any ideas would be great.

Aaron

Last edited:

MsP05

Wow

I feel sorry for you. If you have the opportunity if I were you I would ask, "when would it be acceptable to pass?" Over a mile is a long time to wait...what is the no passing zone was for 10miles...what is the limit?...or is there?

The garbage truck was obstucting traffic , you are generally allowed to cross a double yellow if there is no oncomming traffic and the road is obstructed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">