• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for passing a school bus; driver waved me on to pass. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc4

Rhode Island

Today I was surprised to find a hefty ticket in my mail for passing a school bus. I was surprised by the ticket because of the situation surrounding the event. I was on my way to work one day when a bus stopped in front of me. Children filed out of the bus and walked across the street, but for a long while the bus did not move. The bus driver then stuck a hand out of the window and waved me on to pass. I passed assuming something was holding them up and didn't think anything of it until today.

I write because the fine is hefty and I am uncertain of how to properly deal with it. I plan to go to court and plea my case regardless, but I am wondering if I need to do some work before doing so. Anything I can do to help my case? Character references? I have no idea. I am annoyed by the situation and having to deal with it but I want to do my best to clear the record.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How long ago was this? Since you were on your way to work I am assuming that you drive that way every day. Have you tried to find the driver?

CSO286

Rhode Island

Today I was surprised to find a hefty ticket in my mail for passing a school bus. I was surprised by the ticket because of the situation surrounding the event. I was on my way to work one day when a bus stopped in front of me. Children filed out of the bus and walked across the street, but for a long while the bus did not move. The bus driver then stuck a hand out of the window and waved me on to pass. I passed assuming something was holding them up and didn't think anything of it until today.

I write because the fine is hefty and I am uncertain of how to properly deal with it. I plan to go to court and plea my case regardless, but I am wondering if I need to do some work before doing so. Anything I can do to help my case? Character references? I have no idea. I am annoyed by the situation and having to deal with it but I want to do my best to clear the record.
Honestly, the "Jimmy told me to" defense probably won't help you out here.

Even if the driver did wave you on, you were still breaking the law if his stop sign was out and lights were flashing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">