• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in Pittsburgh PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phynyte

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a ticket going 15 mph over the speed limit in Pittsburgh PA. The cops set a speed trap and were pulling multiple cars over. When he gave me the ticket he said to go to court and ask to drop the points, but he also said he wasn't going to show up.

In PA is it required for the officer who wrote the ticket to be present?

I don't want to be greedy and try to get the ticket dropped if they don't have to be present, when I could just pay the fine an drop the points.

FlyingRon

The officer who observed the violation must be present. It doesn't matter if the citing officer appears though it's typically one and the same.
If nobody shows up for your case, then it should be dismissed.

750IGuy

Forest Hills?

Wow, where was your "speed-trap" located <grin>?

It sounds similar to what happened to me this past Saturday on Adrmore Blvd/Hwy 30 in Forest Hills. Unfortunately, the Officer didn't tell me he wasn't going to show up, but without my asking, he did take an unusual amount of time to explain, that what I needed to do was request a hearing, and the Judge would most likely not issue any points. I realize in these Boroughs, are really only interested in the payment of the fine, but this the first time I'd had an officer go out of his way, as he/she did with you, to explain the specific process to get points removed/dropped. Unless the Officer who cited you plans on quitting, or being away for some reason, it's part of his/her job to be in court for the citations he/she issues, and the court date will be on a day he reserves for court appearances.

That being said, if for some reason the Officer does not appear at your court date, the Judge will dismiss the case, no fine, no points etc. I thought that was the law, but I have read "dismissal" for an Officer no-show, is really just a "common" practice, Judges follow, but, it's ultimately at the Judges discretion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">