• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GlassCrasher

What is the name of your state? California

I was parked at a hospital. Security called the police because they thought the car was left overnight.(I had been there the previous day). I walk out the hospital and see a police car. I have no registration or insurance, and he cites me for this. Is it legal for him to cite me for no insurance & no registration, even though I'm on private property, and was parked there.

HomeGuru

GlassCrasher said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was parked at a hospital. Security called the police because they thought the car was left overnight.(I had been there the previous day). I walk out the hospital and see a police car. I have no registration or insurance, and he cites me for this. Is it legal for him to cite me for no insurance & no registration, even though I'm on private property, and was parked there.

**A: yes, because the hospital security called the police.

G

GlassCrasher

Ok....here is a follow up question....

I will be buying a new car within a couple weeks. If I sell the car that was cited for no registration and insurance, would I still be accountable for these violations??? Would I still have to register it and get insurance if I sold it??

L

loocpoc

GlassCrasher said:
Ok....here is a follow up question....

I will be buying a new car within a couple weeks. If I sell the car that was cited for no registration and insurance, would I still be accountable for these violations??? Would I still have to register it and get insurance if I sold it??
Yes you are still accountable. If you do not resolve the tickets (I belive no insurance and registration are fix it tickets, Id need to ask). You would still be liable for the violations and I dont belive you would be allowed to sell the vehicle because of the violations (Cal DMV would refuse to title the vehicle) so you would need to get it minimally registered and insurance (IE one day or temp policies) for you to sell the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">