• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for running stop sign - but did stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barrla

I'm from Delaware County, PA.

I was out last night driving home from a friend's house when I got pulled over for running a stop sign. I did stop - I remember feeling that force of motion when it jerks you back. When I was pulled over, I didn't know why I was. It was pretty late and a dead area so I assumed it was because I was out driving at that hour or a tail light went out or something. I know regardless the reason you get pulled over that the officer will always ask for your driver's license so I had it ready when he came to the window.

I believe I may have a case because the cop had an obstructed view of me, there were cars parked alongside the entire road, and a lack of lighting. I have mapped out the area, checked viewpoints as well as the location of the stop sign, street lights and taken into account the obstruction of view. Do I have a fighting chance or will everything just get thrown out because I don't have credibility because it's my word against an officer?

Also, do they offer pro-bono traffic court lawyers? I kept an account of the encounter as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I did stop - I remember feeling that force of motion when it jerks you back.
Jerks you back? And that proves what? The same forces are in play if you decelerate then accelerate again. That doesn't mean you stopped completely. Not for anything, about 90% of the people I stop for stop sign violations insist they stopped. Seems like most, if not all, of these people don't really know what a full stop is.

I know regardless the reason you get pulled over that the officer will always ask for your driver's license so I had it ready when he came to the window.
Not necessarily true. You could be asking for trouble if you go reaching or digging around for something. My advice is WAIT until asked and keep both hands on the wheel.

I believe I may have a case because the cop had an obstructed view of me, there were cars parked alongside the entire road, and a lack of lighting.
And how do you know the officer's view was obstructed? And I am assuming you had your lights on, correct? Then lack of lighting doesn't mean much. Unless you have a cloaking device for your car.

Do I have a fighting chance or will everything just get thrown out because I don't have credibility because it's my word against an officer?
Your chances are not good.

Also, do they offer pro-bono traffic court lawyers?
I'll stop laughing now and leave this one to the attorneys out there.

I kept an account of the encounter as well.
Which means what? What evidence do you intend to introduce regarding the encounter and what relevance does it have to the violation you were cited for?

BOR_

You'll likely need pictures to show the judge that the officer could not see the stop line area. (not hand written/computer generated stuff).

I have won such cases where large bushes obstructed the view (zero chance in my case that the officer could have seen my car .. I parked my car at the stop line and took pics from where the officer was parked ... could not even see my car).

And it will depend on the judge too ... some will give u a fair shake, others won't.

In my case, I actually expected to lose the case due to court bias.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">