• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket sent to wrong address; 3 years later Revenue Services tries to collect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needfree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, but I live in NY

I rented a car in 2012, and a camera caught it.

The Notice has my old address and DL number in California on it, not my new address in NY (as per my NY DL license issued 2010), so I never saw the notice.

Last week, I received a collection notice from the San Mateo County Revenue Services Division at my NY address, and this was the first time I have ever had any indication that I was ticketed.

Besides the obvious errors with the address and DL number, Hertz couldn't have sent them a copy of the contract as per 40209, because the contract had my correct address on it

plus 2 1/2 years elapsed since the offense.

and furthermore, the picture is very difficult to see the face of the driver because the shade is down obscuring the top of the head, and the hand on top of the steering wheel obscures the chin area.

lastly, since I live in NY, i cannot go to court.

Is there a TBWD that I can make that might get this dismissed, and how can I get the Civil Judgment back to the traffic court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your rental car company reported that you were the driver. I'm surprised they didn't just simply pay it and bill your credit card.

needfree

Your rental car company reported that you were the driver. I'm surprised they didn't just simply pay it and bill your credit card.
maybe because it was a moving violation. they can't very well plead guilty on my behalf, and ensure I get points + an insurance increase

Last edited:

Pugilist

Ignore it

I would ignore it unless you hear from the New York DMV that they are about to suspend your NY license.

If you feel compelled to respond to them, do a Serna motion. (Look it up.)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would ignore it unless you hear from the New York DMV that they are about to suspend your NY license.
Brilliant. By then a NY license suspension would be just about unavoidable.

The time to deal with this is ASAP - ignoring problems is never a good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">