• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sshuck

What is the name of your state? Texas

I know most of you will agree with most people as I have talked with others who who tell me to just pay my ticket but I am still interested in fighting this ticket.

I was was traveling down a two lane road in the city limits as a police officer quickly pulled out in front of me and slowed down to appx 15mph below the speed limit. I of course hit the brakes as I was cut off by the officer and apparently had got too close to the police car(appx 1 car length) and was then pulled over for "following to closely". I pulled into a Bank parking lot and then took my seat belt off to get my wallet out of my pocket as well as get my registration from my middle console. The officer came to my car took my information and came back with a seat belt ticket. Now I am 300% positive I was wearing my seat belt. I question the officer about the ticket and she proceded to tell me that when she approached my vehicle i did not have the seat belt on.

Can i fight this and win??
If the officer did not see me with or without a seat belt as I was driving(not parked in a parking lot) can she really give me a ticket for this??

The ticket cost I have been told is appx $150. In Texas a seat belt violation is considered a moving violation.

Any suggestions other than pay the ticket would be very appreciated. Thank You

ceara19

Any suggestions other than pay the ticket would be very appreciated. Thank You
Contest the matter in court and wait for the Judge to ORDER you to pay the ticket. Doing ANYTHING other then keeping your hands on the wheel, in plain sight, before the officer is at your window and asks you to retrieve the documents is just plain stupid. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get shot.

cepe10

following to closely is VERY subjective - making it harder for the LEO to prove her case.... pulling out into traffic without yeilding is a crime in itself. You did not need to have your seatbelt on in the parking lot so the observation there does not prove the seatbelt charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">