• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for U-Turn / Leaving country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mberger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

I am currently visiting the US for the summer and I have a permanent residence in Europe. Unfortunately, the other day I received a traffic ticket for an illegal U-turn (from the shoulder of the highway) when I was driving a friend's car (on which I am insured).

Today I received the court letter, however, I shall be leaving the country for good in less than 4 weeks. It appears very tempting to simply *do not* pay the bail and to ignore the ticket altogether.

Regarding this I have the following questions:
(1) Are there any consequences I may face overseas via ignoring the ticket?

i.e. is it likely the court will try to get me overseas (I am not even sure the officer copied my overseas address)

(2) May I face any consequences when trying to enter the country again?
I do not have a US driving license i.e. the officer took note of my foreign license which is in a foreign language...

(3) Could there be any consequences for *the registered owner* of the car (i.e. my friend) if I simply leave without paying the bail?

Additionally, the "Notice to Appear" has quite a few mistakes in it:
- the quoted birth date makes me 20 years older
- the officer indicated that the vehicle is registered in my name after having been presented with the registration details of my friend...
Please let me know if these are of any use.

Thank you very much for you help!

racer72

1. Not really, unless you return.

2. You likely will have a warrant for your arrest. This could me having your visa denied or arrest while going through customs.

3. No.

The mistakes do not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation nor were they an element of the violation. These will not get a ticket dismissed on their own merits.

mberger

Alright, I guess the best solution is then to go along with the system.

Are there any real chances in getting the ticket dismissed or just lowered when I plead not guilty via post? I would have to continue this from abroad since I shall be leaving in a few weeks time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">