• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket for unsafe changing lane + speedy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
I got one ticket for two reasons: unsafe changing lanes and speedy. But I feel quite unfair.

Here is the story:
In a night of last week, I was driving under speed limit on a 50 mph limit street, it has two lane for one direction. I was driving at left lane, there were many cars before and after me. Also there was only one car (later I realized this was a police car) on right side at the same speed as us, it was a little behind me. So I decided to switch to right lane. I turned on the signal, the right car was still at the same speed, I add a little speed to make more space and started to turn SLOWLY, the right car might be also slowed a bit as well to have better space.
Then I noticed the behind car followed me quite closely. So I add a little more speed (a little faster than left cars), the car still closely following me which made me feel quite strange and unsafe. So I decide to add more speed a little. At the time, the car behind was a police car which started to flash. This happened about 0.5-1 minute after the changing lane. I got one ticket for two reasons, unsafe change lane and 60+ speed for 50 mph zone.

I increased the speed totally because the car following me too close. Changing lane may let the police slow down a bit, but still very reasonable manner including signals and slow moving to the other lane. In fact, the police didn't stopped me in the first place. I felt I was unfairly treated. I have been kept the best driver point (SDIP 99) for over 15 years.

I like to hear your advice on fighting on this ticket. Thanks a lot.

L.M.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
I got one ticket for two reasons: unsafe changing lanes and speedy. But I feel quite unfair.

Here is the story:
In a night of last week, I was driving under speed limit on a 50 mph limit street, it has two lane for one direction. I was driving at left lane, there were many cars before and after me. Also there was only one car (later I realized this was a police car) on right side at the same speed as us, it was a little behind me. So I decided to switch to right lane. I turned on the signal, the right car was still at the same speed, I add a little speed to make more space and started to turn SLOWLY, the right car might be also slowed a bit as well to have better space.
Then I noticed the behind car followed me quite closely. So I add a little more speed (a little faster than left cars), the car still closely following me which made me feel quite strange and unsafe. So I decide to add more speed a little. At the time, the car behind was a police car which started to flash. This happened about 0.5-1 minute after the changing lane. I got one ticket for two reasons, unsafe change lane and 60+ speed for 50 mph zone.

I increased the speed totally because the car following me too close. Changing lane may let the police slow down a bit, but still very reasonable manner including signals and slow moving to the other lane. In fact, the police didn't stopped me in the first place. I felt I was unfairly treated. I have been kept the best driver point (SDIP 99) for over 15 years.

I like to hear your advice on fighting on this ticket. Thanks a lot.

L.M.
If you are being followed closely, the proper response is NOT to speed up. Furthermore, you cut off the driver and then were caught speeding in 30 seconds. I think you're just trying excuses on for size...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">